View Single Post

Thread: Interesting Dispel Magic Questions

1. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Interesting Dispel Magic Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant Beast View Post
    Seems pretty straightforward to me. Eyebite imbues the caster with a multitude of powers, which the caster can then use on other targets. Shadow Blade, likewise, imbues the caster with the ability to summon the blade, which the caster can use to psychically Benihana someone.
    Except whereas Eyebite’s effect states the caster’s eyes change, SB doesn’t state anything about effecting the caster: it states an object is made. The spell description is way more akin to Creation or Illusory Dragon than Eyebite: there’s no descriptive text of affecting the caster.

By this argument, DM would likewise dispel those other spells if DM is cast on the caster (as opposed to the item).

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant Beast View Post
    “Self” is just the range, of the spell. The condition of being a ‘Target’ in 5e is a fluid one. Delayed Blast Fireball, for example, targets both the detonation space and everything in its area of effect, at different times. The Fireball spell, meanwhile targets both the detonation space and the everything in it’s AoE, simultaneously.
    Yes and no. As pointed out by others, “Self” actually has a definition that includes only affecting the caster, it’s just apparently also used specifically not in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralVryth View Post
    I don't think you're understanding what we're saying. The spells target the caster, but the totality of their effects don't only effect the caster.

Using Shadow Blade as an example. A spellcaster casts Shadow Blade, as result they gain a buff that we shall call Shadow Blade (Aura). Shadow Blade (Aura) summons an initial Shadow Blade (Object), the blade itself. That same buff Shadow Blade (Aura) is what allows the caster to re-create the blade if it dissipates. Shadow Blade (Aura) is also what is being dispelled when the caster is hit with Dispel Magic. As a result an existing Shadow Blade (Object) would also disappear.
    Except none of that is true, per the effect of the spell. You changing the spell to an Aura, doesn’t change what the spell says it does, which is it creates an object that exists even while dissipated.

The quote on Range: Self, is that it specifically only targets the caster.

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
    That is not correct, range self means it targets the caster, even if it can include other targets.
    The rules in my books state otherwise (in line with BB’s quote, I believe).

Self (Xft) is the template for point of origin and is used for AoEs, and the blade cantrips for some reason.
    Is this a rule or your own design? I couldn’t find an Errata stating anything like this.

Shadowblade targets the caster and forms a blade in hand, it also targets enemies struck by the blade.
    Which would very much mean it doesn’t follow the general rule of what “Range: Self” is described as.
    Last edited by RSP; 2024-04-12 at 12:24 AM.