View Single Post

Thread: Interesting Dispel Magic Questions

1. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Interesting Dispel Magic Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant Beast View Post
    Shadow Blade has a range of Self.
    The PHB, pg 202, states the following under the Range entry in the Magic section:
    Most spells have ranges expressed in feet. Some spells can target only a creature (including you) that you touch. Other spells, such as the shield spell, affect only you. These spells have a range of self.”

The literature itself, would seemingly refute your theory RSP.

The Range of “Self” also explains why the caster can reform the blade of shadow after throwing or dropping the blade.
    I know it says that, however, clearly SB, CoC, BHs, Eyebite, don’t follow that rule.

There is no way you can say those spells “affect only [the caster]” and uphold what their actual effects says.

My best estimation is Specific vs General. The specific rules of those spells, trump the general rule on Range: Self spells.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralVryth View Post
    All of those spells target the caster. Just like Shadow Blade, they imbue the caster with a power that can the be used on other things. If D&D was WoW, Shadow Balde and the listed spells would appear as buffs on your character even though they can also impose effects on others. And for the same reason they can be dispelled from you.
    None of those spells “effect only you [the caster]”, so that can’t apply, unless you’re also trying to argue all those spells only ever damage the caster.

I don’t particularly care if SB can be dispelled or not by targeting the caster, but claiming SB ever only effects the caster, as well as similarly claiming the same for Burning Hands, Eyebite, CoC, etc, it’s a horrible logical argument.

You can either accept Range: Self spells only ever target the caster, or they don’t necessarily follow that rule. But if you don’t accept they necessarily follow that rule, then that rule cannot be in and of itself evidence that a Range: Self spell only affects the caster, particularly when that spell specifically states it creates an object that clearly can effect others.

I would say BHs and CoC NEVER target the caster, which is clearly in direct opposition to the quoted rule.
    Last edited by RSP; 2024-04-12 at 12:04 AM.