View Single Post

Thread: Interesting Dispel Magic Questions

1. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Interesting Dispel Magic Questions

The spell doesn’t target the caster though. It affects those who are hit with it.

Just so we see if we’re on the same page, here’s my view on similar issues with DM:

1. Casting DM on a creature Concentrating on Haste cast on a different creature does nothing to the Haste: you can’t “dispel” the Concentration.

2. If Sally casts Magic Weapon on Steve’s sword, BBEG casting DM on Steve doesn’t effect the MW spell, as it’s on the weapon, not Steve.

3. If a Wizard casts Creation to make a diamond, and holds that diamond in his hand, while BBEG casts DM on the Wizard, the diamond will not be affect by the DM.

Just want to see if my basic understanding of DM matches with others.

[QUOTE=Mastikator;25994421]
    In fact it says any spell on the target ends. So if you target a creature with multiple ongoing effects it should dispel all of them./[QUOTE]

Agree spells on the target end (assuming casting level or lower, etc), the question is whether the caster is the target of SB. Claiming Range of Self means the caster is the target means Cone of Cone targets the caster, which clearly isn’t the case. So saying “Range: Self, done deal” is not a valid argument here (unless you really believe CoC only damages the caster, I guess).

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Furthermore, if someone casts Conjure Animals and summon 8 wolves, casting dispel magic on one wolf should dispel all of them, since it ends the spell, not the spell effect.
    This is just incorrect, per the RAW of DM:

“Choose one creature, object, or magical effect within range. Any spell of 3rd level or lower on the target ends.”

You chose the creature, and the spell ends on that target, not in general. So if 8 rabbits are summoned, casting DM on one of them would only dispel that one.
    Last edited by RSP; 2024-04-11 at 08:20 PM.