View Single Post

Thread: Do caster out of combat options matter?

1. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Do caster out of combat options matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Okay, name them. No, really.
    Off the top of my head:
    Make a party of all strength based fighters. You will not be able to defeat the dragon unless you are playing on explorer mode. They'll also REALLY struggle against Kethric Thorm, I would expect an honor mode to struggle to enter act 3 with all strength based GWM PAM fighters. The magma elemental will also be unbelievably tough (in honor mode it creates its own magma, so you need someone who can cancel out its regen).

There are certain outcomes with Kagha that are virtually impossible to get without having a druid (preferably, a high intelligence one).

There's the spiders in the goblin camp, you can get a certain outcome if you can talk to them. Relying on potions is IMO not reliable, there are more animals to talk to than potions. In fact having speak with animals in BG3 makes a massive difference.

There's an outcome with Auntie Ethel that requires someone in the party is good at charisma checks and/or can boost ability checks.

I'm sure there is more, but I'm equally sure it's not worth the time and energy to find them for the sake of this thread. (also, yes I know about save scumming, and no I don't consider it valid, you'd never be able to save scum at table top)

-

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    This sounds more punitive than anything. And I wonder... if the party happens to be all spellcasters, what do you do to ensure that there are consequences for that choice?
    Aaaand this out of nowhere judgemental nonsense is exactly why I don't like posting anything about what happens in games on this board.
    If the party is all spellcasters then yes I will ensure that there are fair consequences. No, I will not elaborate. Just assume nice things about me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    But you do have to do something though, right? Because if they go around, you'll need to DM the surrounding region and any encounters they have that way, or if they decide to try and get mounts, you'll have to adjudicate that, or if they attempt to climb down the ravine and then back up on the other side, you'll have to do that. Or if they return to the quest giver that a ravine stopped them in their tracks, etc etc.

No matter what you will have to invent stuff to deal with the fact that your players don't have a spell that gets over the ravine you decided to put there.
    Of course I give them something. I always make sure to give many things. They could've literally climbed down and up the ravine, they had climbing gear. They were level 6. Some of them might have been able to JUMP across. One had misty step.

Am I supposed to railroad them? Into an obstacle?
    Last edited by Mastikator; 2024-04-11 at 05:42 PM.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal