View Single Post

Thread: Do caster out of combat options matter?

1. - Top - End - #47
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Do caster out of combat options matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Baldur's Gate 3 doesn't put bridges in the game just because a player chose to have characters with no means to cross it without a bridge (speaking metaphorically).
    No, but Baldur's Gate also made sure to design a campaign that a party of 4 Fighters could clear. For example, you don't have to put on a disguise or something to infilitrate the enemy strongholds, your tadpole takes care of that. Or later when you need to infiltrate a devil's domain in Hell, there just so happens to be an NPC that . In other words, Larian never has to "build a bridge" because they thought the game through at the outset.

But let's say they didn't think of that, and it was a tabletop game. How hard would it really be to create an NPC diabolist who can get you into Hell if one didn't already exist, using a ritual that the PCs have no way to replicate on their own? Because for me, that would be extremely easy. And the players still have agency because they can simply decide not to go (and deal with the consequences later.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    There are sections of Baldur's Gate 3 that become (un)available to players based on their character-building choices. It would be a worse game if it added bridges just because I chose to not have out of combat options.
    Okay, name them. No, really.

Like maybe if you don't have someone who can fly, there's a treasure chest you can't reach or something. And even then, scrolls exist. So I have no idea what you're talking about.

EDIT: The druid holes don't count, literally everywhere that has one has other means of getting into or out of that area, so no, try again.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2024-04-11 at 04:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)