Quote Originally Posted by diplomancer View Post
Hex on a fullcaster at higher levels is niche. Even more so for a Warlock, considering how Pact Magic works. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's not worth taking or a trap, but its uses are limited. It's still a good option for a Martial who takes Fey-Touched, be the martial a half-caster or, even more so, not a caster at all... but this is because all classes are encouraged to use their "Concentration slot" on something (by the way, and I've just realized this there's unused design space for martials there).

With this invocation, Hex becomes quite powerful even on a single-classed Warlock... a straight, almost cost-free, damage buff. It's comparable to Agonizing Blast. Slightly less powerful damage-wise but applicable to more damage sources than just Eldritch Blast. And Agonizing Blast is pretty much considered an invocation tax on any Eldritch Blast-based Warlock build.
I do not see "enables the build" to be "a build tax" if the build is not the only viable build, or the only viable way to use the thing that the build centers around. If hex is useful without building around it, then a thing that enables a build around it isn't a tax, because it's not a tax to use hex. Does that reasoning make sense?