Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
You will have to pick and choose what is and is not a "recast action," then, because otherwise haste is recast every time somebody takes the extra action it grants, and fly is recast every time somebody lands and takes off again, and Melf's minute meteors is "recast" every time you spend the bonus action to send another meteor, and basically any spell that is ever used for more than one round and isn't a 100% passive effect is "recast" every time. Which is incredibly misleading terminology. Especially since the person using the action may not even have cast it in the first place, nor even be a spellcaster, as is the case when a wizard casts dragon's breath on their hireling!
This isn't the first time someone has said this, and yet, no where in any of the discussion has anyone implied any of it. When cursing a new target with Hex, with an eye towards the simulation, that curse must needs be something other that 'I simply will it'. The universe needs some kind of instruction as to who you intend to curse. Dragon's Breath, Haste and Fly have nothing in common with Hex. You're not targeting a new recipient of either spell. Melf's minute meteors isn't recast either "you can expend one or two of the meteors, sending them streaking to a point or points you choose..." I suppose here is where someone will state 'choosing a point is purely psychic'; I would content that choosing a point requires something akin to pointing... but I suppose the meteors just listen into on your theta waves or something.

Not really. The rules don't specify that you do anything obvious, so you don't have to. Period.
We've gone over the gamist vs simulationist aspects of the game. Do we need to rehash them again for the folks in the back?

That's not a ruling; that's a house rule. In the same sense that it would be a house rule to require the same components used to cast fly every time you land and take off again, or to use the breath weapon granted by dragon's breath, or to launch a minute meteor, or to take the extra action granted by haste, or to attack on subsequent rounds with a shadow blade. None of which are in the rules as written. Hence it would be a house rule: a change made to the rules as they stand by the DM for his game.
repeating the same refrain gets it back in spades. It's odd, you're not using 'maintaining Hex on the same person round over round' as part of your case... seems like that would be the easiest reference. Yet, just like Haste or Fly or DB, we all know that they, like Hex, aren't recast to maintain concentration. Hex only comes up because the curse can change targets.

I ... must be misunderstanding you. Are you saying that you find the argument that the rules of the game tell you how to play the game to be tiresome?
No, it's a call back to the discussion on RAW vs RAI vs RAG - RAW isn't the holy text some folks believe it is.