View Single Post

Thread: [D&D 5] Fight for your Right to Die

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [D&D 5] Fight for your Right to Die

New readers, we have started the campaign but despite high initial interest there is still one open spot so until this thread is marked filled you are welcome to roll a character.

At first it felt more like a blessing than a curse. Sure the other aspect of the curse was inconvenient but being able to shrug off death as if it was just a bad hangover was amazing... or so it seemed. As the years wore on you began to long for the long sleep as friends and family are repulsed or pass away and the simple pleasures of life no longer bring you joy. Then one day a message floats down out of the sky with a date and location offering an end to the curse in exchange for defeating a foe that only your unique situation can stand a chance against. Perhaps whoever has the power to track you down could break the curse, none of the clerics you have talked to before have been able to remove it.

You will be playing characters that have been cursed with immortality and have had to deal with the side effects long enough that you want to be a normal humanoid once more.

You now have the chance to Fight for your Right to Die.

That being said, I am ready to start another campaign and I am writing and running this campaign in an effort to do some worldbuilding and push myself out of my GMing comfort zone of wilderness exploration and dungeon crawling so please bear with me as we go on this adventure together.

Big 16

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 5e

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Homebrew campaign in my homebrew setting. See the player facing Prelesha Setting Doc for more info.

Map of the Corusic Coast where this campaign will take place.

Just about all of the planes, deities, organizations, from the Forgotten Realms do not exist or are inaccessible within this crystal sphere.

If you are looking for something for your character that is not in the player facing doc just ask and if I don’t have anything that fits we can do some worldbuilding.

3. How many players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

5 players total. One spot is reserved for Charybdis1618.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

IC here on GitP.
    OOC only on Discord.
    Maps for complex fights will be on https://new.tableplop.com/
    A Google spreadsheet will be provided for tracking party inventory.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level 8 with one bonus feat. Average HP per level.

Characters have a curse with at least two effects.

One is that if you die you revive at the next dawn with no hit die and 3 additional levels of exhaustion to a maximum of 5.

You get to propose the other(s) and I will decide if they are strong enough. It should be more than just an aesthetic change. Avoid curses that are going to prevent your character from going adventuring like not being able to leave the ocean.

Here are some examples on the more extreme end of the spectrum:
    - Vampirism - you can only heal by drinking blood, you are immune to magical healing and cannot use HD.
    - Lycanthropy - Rather than making death saves you transform and go on a rampage until the next dawn. You have no control over it and cannot shift voluntarily.
    - Your body still ages and doesn’t heal properly, even from magical healing, so you have to replace your body parts with new ones.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

- Standard starting equipment for your class
    - 750 gold for equipment, spell components, etc. (This is stuff that you have gotten through your travels, not a pile of cash that the GM just gave you. Spend most of it during character creation.)
    - a +1 weapon, +1 spell focus, or regular full plate
    - a bag of holding
    - 1 common magic item of your choice
    - 1 uncommon magic item of your choice

Starting funds can be used to purchase spell scrolls: 60 gp for level 1, 120 gp for level 2, 200 gp for level 3.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

See number 16.

Blood Hunter as listed here: https://www.dndbeyond.com/classes/blood-hunter is allowed.

UA revised ranger is allowed.

UA Mystic is not allowed.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Playable humanoid races are not inherently evil.

No Variant Human or Tasha's Custom Lineage, you are already getting a bonus feat.

Aasimar and Tieflings do not exist in this setting as there are no angels, devils, or demons.

See the setting document for additional options.

9. By what method should players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Roll 2d5+6 nine times on a grid like so:

Int Wis Cha
    Str 2d5+6 2d5+6 2d5+6
    Dex 2d5+6 2d5+6 2d5+6
    Con 2d5+6 2d5+6 2d5+6

Each number on a table can only be used once. Physical stats can be any number in their respective row, mental stats can be any number in their respective column.

You can choose to use one of my example tables, or any table rolled by a player.

If you do like available rolls you can use a 32 point buy.

Spoiler: Example Tables
    Show
    Int Wis Cha
    Str 12 12 15
    Dex 13 14 10
    Con 9 12 11

Int Wis Cha
    Str 13 14 14
    Dex 11 12 10
    Con 12 15 11

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Refrain from making characters that will go out of their way to wreck the game. Your fun from playing a self sabotaging alcoholic can ruin things for everyone else.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

RAW

Please establish multiclassing before we start.

(No coffeelock)

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Players can use the forum roller or Discord dice bot to make their own rolls for attacks and skill checks when appropriate. Rolls on the IC thread should be placed in spoilers. Rolls on Discord should have a note for what they are for.

If you are not sure which roll is required for a given situation, or you do not want to mess with the forum roller, just say so and I will make the relevant rolls and post the results.

I will make most of my GM rolls with physical dice.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

- We will be using my custom wild magic table.
    - Optional flanking rules are in effect.
    - On damage rolls for crits the extra die is always maximized.
    - Being prone does not impose disadvantage on ranged attacks made with crossbows or spells. Ranged attacks against prone targets that are within 15 feet do not have disadvantage.
    - It takes a day of partial down time in character to level up. This can be concurrent with light travel, crafting, or work.
    - For the purposes of healing, regaining HP, and hit die a short rest is 8 hours and a long rest is 1 week (9 days). Regaining spells, ki, and other features are not changed.
    - Traumatic injuries such as from falling 40+ feet or being run over by a 2 ton boulder will result in penalties beyond regular damage such as a sprained ankle or dislocated shoulder that will impose disadvantage on some rolls until healed.
    - Revised crafting rules, link will be provided later.
    - Scrolls can be used by any class as follows: If it is on your spell list no check is required. If you are a spellcaster you can make an arcana check with your spellcasting modifier to attempt to use the scroll. If you are not a spellcaster you can attempt to use the scroll with Charisma (Arcana). DC is 10 + the spell level. On a critical failure the scroll is consumed and wild magic is triggered.

Feel free to make minor adjustments and/or re-flavor the backgrounds.

If there are any other minor homebrew rules you enjoy I am willing to take them into consideration.

The following is on all spell lists:
    Spoiler: Town Portal
    Show
    Town Portal
    1st-level conjuration (ritual)
    Casting Time: 10 minutes
    Range: 10 feet
    Components: V, S, M (Small gems worth 10 gp, which the spell consumes. A pebble taken from the town you want to go to as detailed below.)

You open a portal to a town or city you have visited before. The portal remains open until you return through it. Anything can use the portal as long as it remains open.

Dispel Magic will close a town portal.

To add a new town to the list of towns that you can open a portal to, you must dig up a small rock in that town and perform a ritual that takes one hour where you magically scribe runes into the stone. You can maintain one of these stones per level. The portal opens at or near the location where the stone ritual is performed.

At higher levels: This spell's casting time is reduced to one minute if cast with a 4th level spell slot and to one action if cast with a 6th level spell slot.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

What did your character do to get cursed? (Reminder: there are no angels, devils, or demons.)

2-5 paragraphs and/or fill out this form:

Spoiler: Backstory Q&A
    Show
    1. Write a cornerstone memory for the character. This should be an emotionally charged event that contributed significantly to who they are today.
    2. Where did the character grow up (major trade city, island fishing town, country farm, royal castle, slave labor camp, nomadic tundra tribe, etc.) and write at least one effect it had on shaping the character’s personality or mentality?
    3. What is the character’s social status and did they receive any sort of formal education? List at least one world viewpoint that comes from this.
    4. Write at least one important memory, quote, or lesson from a mentor or family member.
    5. Why is the character adventuring?
    6. List at least two goals for the character. At least one of these goals should be one that the character has, while another should be one that you, as a player, want to see developed over the course of the game.
    7. List at least two secrets about the character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves them but that they are not actually aware of yet.
    8. Describe at least three NPCs that are tied to the character. What is their relationship with the character friend, rival, family, mentor, enemy?
    9. Describe at least three mannerisms or quirks that the character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.
    10. Does the character have any Hobbies, Likes, or Dislikes.
    11. Note relevant class specific information such as warlock patrons, cleric deity, etc.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, role playing, or a combination of the above?

Hack & slash, investigation, role playing.

A puzzle might show up on occasion.

16. Are your players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can players use for their characters?

All official published books are allowed though some of the Magic the Gathering options might not fit the setting very well.

I will consider UA, homebrew, and 3rd party content on a limited basis. A new archetype is the upper limit, an entire homebrew class is too much. Please ask first.

Please limit yourselves to only one UA, 3rd party, or Homebrew bit of content per character.

I do not have the contents of every book memorized, if you use something from outside of the player’s handbook please note where it is from on your character sheet in case I need to look it up.
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2024-05-03 at 09:58 PM.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese