1. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Eclipse tomorrow 4.8.24 will be the last over the US for 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I can see the reasoning for thinking continental US includes Alaska, but I've always seen continental US used to refer to the 48 states excluding Alaska, Hawaii, and territories. For example, Pew Research uses it this way, and the US federal government designation OCONUS (Outside CONtinental US) includes also includes Alaska along with Hawaii, territories, and foreign countries (this is mostly used in context of employment locations/pay adjustments).
    If we are going to cite authority, the National Renewable Energy Laboratory agrees with me, concluding "Best to specify the meaning on first use of the phrase."

Either way, I thought it interesting to point out the Alaskan appearance. Hawaii (neither continental nor continuous) doesn't get any total eclipses this century, just a couple of annular eclipses. I don't see anything for the insular possessions like Guam or American Samoa.

For our European members, Iceland and northern Spain get a total solar eclipse in August of 2026. Also parts of Greenland.
    Last edited by DavidSh; 2024-04-08 at 08:26 AM.