View Single Post

Thread: Is Hex worth it at high levels?

1. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Is Hex worth it at high levels?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralVryth View Post
    I thought it was obvious, I was using the phrase re-cast as a short hand for spells that grant the ability to take an action (or bonus action) to repeat the original effect or take a related action. There are lots of spells like that for example, Moonbeam, Call Lightning, Sunbeam, The Investures, Hex, Hinter's Mark, Flaming Sphere, Flaming Blade, and plenty more.

The idea that all of those action options in all of those spells are purely mental (especially when every spell listed above has a V and S component and few pretty much say you doing the same thing you did when you cast the spell), is more illogical than the idea that you are repeating the V and S components when taking the action in question.

On a more general note, the vast majority of actions in the game have components that are Verbal and/or Somatic they just aren't spelled out. In fact the actions don't have any visual or audible tells tend to be more explicit on that fact. So assuming all actions granted by spells fall into the latter category is also pretty incongruous with the larger rule set.
    Congratulations, you've just invalidated a commmon- and obviously intended- Druid tactic. I dislike Druids, but you apparently hate them and don't want them at your table.

I'm not saying this to be mean here. I want to point out that tinkering with a system with as many moving parts as 5e is not to be done without considering other consequences. You wanted to stop what you consider to be an abusive use of Hex, and just killed the Druid (or at least made him far, far worse).
    Last edited by diplomancer; 2024-04-07 at 07:10 PM.