Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
What I have a problem with is #3, i.e. the reassignment being completely impossible to detect or counterplay in any way. That's the one I'm not convinced has designer intent behind it, especially when it encourages such unintuitive behavior to reliably trigger.
I’m not sure Hex is detectable at all in the game world, other than noticing the casting.

To me, it’s always been a “bad luck” kind of curse. I don’t ever play that things like Disadvantage mechanic is known by the characters (they may realize it’s harder to hit a target when they’re restrained, by they have idea about dice rolls or rolling two and using the lower roll). So with someone who is the target of Hex, they don’t instinctively know that they unsuccessfully petitioned the King because they’re Hexed, they just know the meeting went badly as they were less persuasive than they hoped or thought they would be.

I also don’t see why this isn’t 100% intended. I can’t imagine the designers were thinking switching it could be counterspelled or that characters would know the Disadvantage mechanic.

The damage is noticeable of course, but that doesn’t mean its source is. If hit with a sword, even if there’s a “this isn’t just slashing damage” it’s not like they auto-know “oh I’m under the effects of Hex”: it’s certainly not the only time an attack has other-than-B/S/P damage.