Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
Annie opens her mouth to speak, but is cut off by the Ogre, who raises his voice over hers. "My name is Errol," he replies, placing a massive clawed hand over his chest before adding, "And thwarting the Fae and saving a mortal from captivity is reason enough!"
Laura hadn't been expecting that level of enthusiasm. 'Hey Errol. I think we can agree on that.' Having an Ogre around would be helpful but she had to wonder how things had been going for him that he should agree to this so readily. 'But I don't want to lose anyone else on the way if I can help it. How are you with the Hedge?'

Once the dragon has announced his noble intentions, the spider clears her throat loudly, casting a harsh glare his way. Sharply she adds, "Yes, of course, though I know how members of your court love to barter and bargain. I am sure we can find something to trade over." There was something almost mocking in Annie's words, though she wasn't wrong. It wasn't "courtly" to just accept free help, and Laura would be expected to offer to barter for their help.
Laura was familar with this sort of attitude. She was of the opinion that being able to bargain honestly in the Tumbledown was a defence mechanism as much as anything else. 'Well ok then. What exactly do you want Annie? I feel like most of what I could offer is the sort of thing you could get for yourself.' She responds without having to think about it. There was no point in looking like Annie was getting to her.

Before she can reply though, the furry hobgoblin speaks up. It's voice is shrill and warbles like a bird that had learned to mimic human speech. "Yeah! I won't do nothing for free. I expect to be fairly compensated for my help!" The creature's mane bobs and ruffles as it speaks, and it seems to have forgotten to introduce itself.
'I wouldn't dream of it. But perhaps you should start by telling me who you are and how you know Shadow?'