Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
Oh, and the teeth are black because the scene is shot in infrared, so dead body parts like teeth show up as black, not because they are stained in some way.
While glad for the explanation, thank you ... I find the compatibility of a human strain raised in the "black light sun" environment to the Arrakis environment to be a bit much.
It's been years since I read the books. I don't recall the Harkonnen homeland being too much different from the Atriedes homeland. (Happy to be corrected if mistaken on that).

The time skip (and the sister still being in the womb) was something that was bugging me during the movie that it took J-H's post to crystalize. In the Lynch Dune, she's up and walking around and a dangerous little tyke with insane intelligence. (Which fits what I recall of the book). I don't get the decision to mess that up.

Worm riding: pretty cool.

Also: I kept waiting for the Spacers Guild to show and ... it didn't happen.

Spoiler: pendell's exposition
Show

Because Leto is self-controlled, he cannot be blackmailed, cannot be controlled by his vices, cannot be addicted to drugs, is immune to most forms of BG manipulation and control which closely resembles the Harkonnen's own methods -- to not trust good intentions or honor but to seek levers over their political pawns which cannot be defeated. He is, in other words, a loose cannon from the BG perspective. By contrast, the Harkonnens are two-legged beasts, but precisely because they are ruled by their appetites, they can be ruled by those who have power over those same appetities. Feyd-Ruatha has a sexual appetite, for example, and Fenring is able to both whet this and manipulate it to her ends. He also has an appetite for violence, and the BG can sate that by directing it to their ends.

This is why I view Paul as, not the villain of Dune 2, but it's anti-hero. An anti-hero, because at the end of the story he has adopted Harkonnen methods (for example, leaving his grandfather's body to be eaten by animals, a brutality the Harkonnens would have understood and approved of, if they were the ones doing it). But not a villain, because the alternative to Paul's action is not the Golden Path but the rule of Feyd-Ruatha. The galaxy-wide war he feared would have still happened, but it would have been waged by the Harkonnens and there would be no Golden Path at the end of it, simply extinction.
Nice thoughts there.

(1) For all of the slow pacing, the ending seems greatly rushed as regards the Noble Houses and the decision to embark on a war. There could have been some less dragged out scenes throughout the movie and some more detail on the relationships between houses and the Imperial House that I think would have been more satisfying.

(2) Leaving the Baron's dead body out for the desert to reclaim struck me as a very Fremen payback to an enemy, but, as we see before hand, they suck the water out of defeated Harnonnens early in the film so perhaps they either don't want his fluid or your "it's a Harkonnen move" is closer to the intended message.

(3) The seduction of Fayd was, I thought, a well-done sequence in terms of the demonstrating how the BG manage bloodlines.

(4) I would need to watch the movie again, but I think I saw the tattoo on the knife fighter.