Aliani pursed his lips; this wasn't entirely going the way he'd hoped. He rose to his feet, letting the gnome know that yes, he could get back to his business soon enough, as soon as the playwright had said his final piece.

"Listen, I understand... there's a lot of reasons to hate Ileosa. I'm not going to argue any of them. She slept her way to Eodred's side, and that got her to where she is, and she's wholly unqualified, am I right? And when they get rid of her, it'll just be someone else without Korvosa's interest in mind."

He sighed. "Look, I don't know whether you fancy yourself a businessman or a patriot, but ... either way, the least you can do is leave the painter girl out of it. She doesn't deserve it, even if the rest of them do."

He leaned in, lowering his voice. "You do that, and I can get you all the proof on Venster you need. Story of a lifetime, if you ask me. But I can't do it if the whole city goes mad."

Without waiting for a reply, he turned heel and left the room, unsure of what was to happen next. Perhaps he could try to reason with Jack, if he was to be reasoned with, and if he was lucky enough to run into him.