Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
People who can tolerate really spicy food and enjoy it are not somehow less affected by the pain. They simply like the pain.

Lapha and Sydney are feeling the same thing, but Sydney enjoys the sensation, and Lapha does not.
And this directly violates my own personal experience. I've shared food with my bro and dad, both of whom have far more spice tolerance than I do. I'm able to handle spicy food well enough, but there comes a spice point where I'm having the "intense sweating, uncontrolled crying, sinuses gone haywire, face turning pure red" reaction you'd expect from a cartoon character, and they're both fine, looking perfectly normal as they enjoy the same thing that's giving me malaria symptoms. It is not just a mental "they enjoy the pain more" difference, their bodies are straight up not having the same physiological reaction that mine is.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
I would point out that despite her enjoyment of it, sydney is very clearly effected by all that spice. Bright red, tears flowing, snotty etc.
This is a far more plausible explanation. "Sydney isn't any more resistant to spice than most white people are, biologically speaking, but her whole family is really into super-spicy food so she's been mentally associating it with good feels since forever, so Lapha is getting all the suffering without the history of personal experience making it enjoyable".