1. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Proposal: Uranus et. al. should no longer be called "plane-ettes".

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    So the example now given is a mistake of using the Moon's name as a descriptor, and the solution is to take a random language's word which means "moon" instead, and use that as the proper name for the Moon.

I really think this problem is uncommon enough that it likely doesn't warrant any solution other than simple editing, and even if a different solution is needed, sporadically resorting to other languages (which alternate language is used isn't even consistent, i should note) seems like it's needlessly confusing itself - is it named the Moon or Luna? Or maybe Selene? If absolutely necessary to use an alternate phrasing, wouldn't "Earth's moon" be exactly as accurate without any implications, even if unintended, that it has a different English/scientific name?

Ignoring that in all likelihood most uses of Luna are in the belief that it's the actual name of the Moon.
    It's not a "random language". It's the language after which all other exoplanets in the system (except, for some reason, Uranus) are named, i.e. Latin. Uranus should be Caelus, really, but since Caelus also means "sky", the name was to some extent poorly chosen in the first place. (The reason, as I understand it, was to move out generationally from Earth, so Mars, Jupiter, Saturn and Uranus/Caelus represent another generational step back, but in that case you'd have to call Neptune "Chaos", which doesn't work, since "Gaia" is already too closely associated with Earth).

I will continue to call ithe Moon "the Moon", because that's its name, but I see the appeal in giving it a Latin name (ditto "Sol") for the sake of consistency. I flatly refuse to call Earth "Terra", however. (If we're going with a Roman name, it should be Tellus, dammit).
    [quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    If we all use "Luna" as the name of Luna, than "Luna" becomes Luna's name. It's like how "literally" means figuratively. Check Merriam Webster if you don't believe me.
    Fortunately, being British, I don't have to listen to what some Yankee book says about the language or treat it as a reliable source. But any dictionary that includes the word's antonym as a definition loses credibility in the process anyway (looking at you too, OED).
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2024-03-19 at 06:16 PM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)