Quote Originally Posted by Fat Rooster View Post
I While in most contexts talking about the Moon will clearly be referring to Earth's moon, in this specific context it is not
Isn't it? "The Moon", to the best of my knowledge, is always used the refer to the Earth's moon, where "the moon" can be used to refer to the moon of any other body. The Moon is typically the only one ever capitalized, and is about as confusing as someone reading about Earth and confusing it for dirt. The Earth is a planet and the earth is ground, and the latter isn't ever capitalized (unless you drop "the" and put it at the beginning of a sentence but that's on the same level as talking about polish vs Polish as thr beginning of a sentence).

Also, even without text and only in speech, context will virtually always immediately differentiate the Moon from other moons.

What, exactly, is different with this specific context that obfuscates? Let's quote the context but use the proper name instead:
I've long favored just throwing out the term "planet" entirely, an just referring to bodies as rockballs, gasballs, or iceballs. Earth, the Moon, and Ceres are all more like each other than any of them is like Jupiter or Neptune.
I don't think anyone would see that and be confused as to what "the Moon" refers to.