1. - Top - End - #47
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: D&D 3.5 low-power; Dungeon of Strangeness 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Alhallor View Post
    To be honest Corpsewalk seems fine. With you taking Reserve mage you have a 2 HD zombie? That's not overpowered.

Vanishing Act seems pretty strong but with it being a swift and not an immediate action I can see it working, given that you don't spam it to be invisible all the time. (Because you only use a swift action every round, yada yada...)

I haven't looked at the other reserve feats at detail if you want to take others I'll give them a closer look.
    I think Corpsewalk needs the word "control" switched to "animate" to clarify that only one zombie can exist at a time. It is up to you if that means that a second casting is impossible or if a second casting de-animates the first. Either is fine with me, but cutting off the "I let loose a dozen uncontrolled zombies inside the enemy camp" problem from poor wording is a good idea.

You can't do a swift action while flat-footed for instance so at 1 round invisibility I cannot start most combats invisible. Except extremely well-timed ambushes.

Bee Swarm and Shattering Word, Both are damage reserve feats with an added effect. Bee swarm is a little weird, in that it doesn't do damage unless the person moves within the next round, and Shattering Word ignores hardness, so it can be used to slowly destroy locks for instance.

And possibly at higher levels taking Smoulder or Enrage. Enrage is a little poorly written as it just states they attack any creature but imply they mean nearest creature.

I did have to change my level distribution to Beguiler3/Reserve Mage 3 (Precocious Apprentice to get access at the same level as Wizard), because most of the non-direct damage Reserve Feats are 3rd level and I want utility more than damage. That does unlock Reserve Fuse, which is a bit of an increase in ability.

Edit: Gina Thorne, Arcane Gnome Reserve Mage and Dungeon Delver Extraordinaire*

*Dungeon Delver Extraordinaire is a marketing term and does not guarantee the quality of adventuring, nor the survival of your party. Agreeing to adventure with Gina indemnifies her from any potential damages you may incur during the adventure up to and including death.
    Last edited by Benoojian; 2024-03-18 at 01:16 PM.