Speaking as a very casual Dune fan (I read the original novel once in my teens and never picked up a sequel), I enjoyed it a lot.

Part I was visually stunning but was (predictably) almost entirely setup. Part II gave me the payoff I needed and then some — there were so many moments that had me very, very excited. A real thrill to watch in theatres, even if I did need to bring earplugs. My wife and I joked about whether or not there would be more moments of “high, ethereal female vocals” or moments of the sound going “WAAAAAAAAAA”. Guess which one won out

I have very few complaints about the changes they made. Some things work better in novel format than they do on the big screen. Some plot elements are a product of their time and wouldn’t play as well to a modern audience. Matching the tone and the themes of a work is far more important to me, and I felt this film did that excellently.

Also, saw someone else upthread saying Chalamet didn’t sell the angry/scary parts for them — I actually had the opposite reaction, where he really surprised me with his intensity as the story’s climax approached and he leaned into the Mahdi role. His scene at the Southern meeting in particular really spooked me, honestly. And his sense of resignation at the very end gave me some real chills.