Quote Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I have had some groups playing games love this in place of dice (never tried in a TTRPG, just various board games), and I have had others hate it. Those who liked it liked it for the strategy because knowing when to play off the bad cards was a hugely important skill. Those who hated it hated the idea that they couldn't get a lucky streak going. I would imagine that in a TTRPG, this would be beneficial to players, especially if you also let everyone know what the DCs are for challenges, or what AC needs to be hit, since that would allow the players to use the lowest possible card that passes.
Honestly, I would hate it, but not at all because it would prevent me from having a "lucky streak", but because it's too easily gamed (from any/all sides). Don't get me wrong, I'd abuse the heck out of it, but the whole time I'd be thinking "this isn't a great mechanic because I'm basically cheating here".

The problem with this approach, is that it is 100% deterministic based entirely on two things:

1. How much the player(s) know what their target number is.

2. How much the player(s) have the ability to manipulate the refresh of cards.

The first point is pretty straightforward, but relevant. If the players know the target number they need, they can always pick exactly the correct numbered card to succeed, or use the lowest number left if they decide it's not worth it to try. Which allows for perfect play. Only made difficult at all by the...

Second point, is problematic. Do the players have the opportunity to dump low cards as they wish, to maximize the use of high cards for the things they really want to succee at. And how much ability do they have? Can they sit there beteween each combat, spaming search attempts, use up their cards, then get a fresh set full of high carrds, own the combat, then spam again to get the high cards back? And if not, then how does the GM moderate this?

Which leads to a third problem. It only prevents "perfect play" if the GM actually contrives things to make it so. The result becomes extremely determinalistic. The GM can force an encounter knowing the PCs are low on high cards, or he can give them some fluff things to burn out their decks and give them fresh ones for the "big fight". It makes gaming the deck the key strategy, and both players are GMs are going to play that game, instead of the one they are actually playing.

It also goes back to player knowledge being an issue. Even if we assume folks aren't gaming, then we will have situations where a PC enters a conflict, knowing they have no high cards, and thus knowing there is nothing they can do for X rounds as a result. The dice literally have memory in this model, and it's not a good thing IMO.

I vastly prefer a situation where the player knows "I have an X% chance of doing <something>" in each attempt, and knowing that actually means that that's their odds of success. Every single attempt. In this model, if the player has the card needed, then it's a 100% chance. If he doesn't, then it's a 0% chance.