1. - Top - End - #105
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Biggest surprise when you read the book...

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    The funny thing is that Alan Moore got incredibly pissed off at Rorschach's popularity in the post-Watchmen years. He envisaged Rorschach as a sort of real-life Batman, concluded (correctly) that such a person would be a psychopathic nutcase, and expected everyone to just dismiss him. When they didn't, he decided that his readers had missed the point.

The counterpoint – that yes, Rorschach is a psychopathic nutcase, but he's also the only one out of the supposed "heroes" who ISN'T willing to help cover up a giant exercise in terrorism and mass murder – seemingly never occurred to him. I guess it's to Moore's credit that he can do such a good job on a character he fundamentally disagreed with, but you really would have thought that at some point he might have considered that readers might sympathise less with the supervillain and more with the guy who gets murdered for refusing to go along with the supervillain's plan. But then, I suppose that tells you something about the way he sees the world.
    There's also the issue that Rorschach comes off at least as much as a saner friendlier version of the Punisher as he does as a crazier meaner version of Batman

Edit:
    Also, I don't see how telling on Veidt spoils the plan anyway. The whole point was to give the world a common enemy. The space squid and framing Jon Osterman are tangential to that, being in the plan only because Veidt was too cowardly to openly take on that role himself but not in and of themselves essential parts of it.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2024-03-07 at 02:16 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)