View Single Post

Thread: Dune II

1. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Dune II

I assume the Spacing Guild exists in Dune 2 but is off-camera. It's how I explain the ending of the movie.

Spoiler
    Show

Ships enter orbit around Dune, but twenty minutes later we have Fremen boarding transports to prepare to launch an interstellar invasion of the Imperium in support of Paul-Muad'dib's claim of accession.

If the ships in orbit belong to the great houses, I would expect them to establish a blockade in orbit ; the transports would be shot down as soon as they took off. Also, if they want to spare the spice fields, they can still glass Arrakeen, Carthag, and the Emperor's command center.

Why didn't this happen?

My guess is that the Spacing Guild got wind of Muad'dib's threat to destroy the spice fields, and simply left, carrying the Great Houses with them. Afterwards, Guild heighliners would provide interstellar passage to Atreides armies while denying it to the Great Houses. Thus isolated from each other, the Great Houses would be defeated, but given we're still conquering entire planets, there's still a lot of hard fighting ahead for the Atreides armies, resulting in the great interstellar Jihad of Paul's vision.

ETA: Also, from a real-world science perspective, what the devil is a 'Black Sun'? It's no spoiler , I think, to note that part of the movie takes place on the Harkonnen home world of Giedi Prime. It is shot entirely in infrared, so everything is gray-scale, black-and-white. This is why the Harkonnens like so much black in the movie -- it's an outgrowth of their environment. It's also why they're looters and slavers; Giedi Prime cannot sustain itself.

From movie-logic, the point is to emphasize the alienness of the Harkonnens, and how their environment shapes their society , as Villanueve explains . The Harkonnens are not just evil for the sake of evil; they are the product of their environment. And the key feature of their environment is the 'Black Sun' which the planet orbits , which causes everything on the planet to be black and white.

That's movie logic. But from real-world physics, what would a 'black sun' be? A pulsar or something? Or is it completely made up?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2024-03-04 at 02:56 PM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl