View Single Post

Thread: Miss 4e D&D

1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Miss 4e D&D

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Oh, it's pretty easy to find a lot of places where 4E is not streamlined at all.
    And yet....

For instance, summons and figurines and animal companions all work subtly differently without rhyme or reason.
    Or, the fact that 90% or more of all items printed are vendor trash.
    Both of these are content not core rules. Both of these are equally or more true of the editions on ether side.

Or, how exactly 3D combat is supposed to work (this is not consistent between books or between individual powers).
    I do not remember how 3d combat worked in 4e, but it's not like 3e and 5e 3d combat set the world alight either. And either way, it is a pretty niche criticism compared with "is it an attack roll, is it a saving throw, neither, both?" in every single combat in 3e or 5e (to pick an obvious example).

Or, the oft-derided rules for rituals, and for that matter martial practices.
    "Oft-derided"? Rituals are often acknowledged as one of the best innovations in 4e even by people otherwise dislike the edition. Martial Practices are admittedly kinda wonky, but again content not core rules.

Or, that there are at least ten different powers that are pretty much "Fireball" but with different damage values and different defenses.
    I would say "citation needed", but even if it were true it would be content not rules, and not a real problem anyway given that powers are self-contained and right there on your character sheet.

Or, how often skill challenges had to be errata'ed, and how often the "math fix" feats had to be (re)printed.
    Yes, they fixed a few things. I never claimed 4e was perfect, I claimed it was more consistent than 3e and 5e. Which it was. You seemed to be the only one in this thread pushing back against the edition warriors; disappointing to see you join them.
    Last edited by glass; 2024-03-02 at 09:32 AM.
    (He/him or they/them)