Spoiler: Stinking Troglodytes
Show
As the dice spins, Tedras knows how to make a dice spin, Tedras concentrates on a number.
Five, five, five Before spinning the dice, Tedras had called a six, and whatever called on the magic dice, always came true. But Tedras was now working on the ultimate hustle: changing the call mid-roll to avoid people getting too suspicious and to nag the pot now and then with an accomplice.
Six, came the dice... that was the last attepmt, Tedras thought.

Besides it was getting damp this side of the hall, where Tedras kept a little desk with all the document forgery kit across the foyer, Siobhan and Clancy enjoying the fireplace drew Tedras' attention. Closing and locking the desk -as if locking anything in this den of thieves helped at all- Tedras crossed the hall and sat pleasantly next to the gnome and the big dog.

No, not the face, Clancy, not the face!

Tedras tried to prevent Clancy from landing a wet warm licking in Tedras' face. The fireplace cracked gently and was a great soundtrack to Siobhan's story. The little gnome always had good stories and the skunk one was one of her best -even if she loved re-telling it now an then. Tedras listened with the same attention as ever and then the question came.

How would I handle it? Well, you'd be surprised! Skunks are not half as stinky as Troglodytes! Do you remember that place near Cauldron? Oh, maybe you don't, it was right after the Vanderborren Heist, I think you and Clancy left town soon. I just wanted to hang around and spend some money right. Tedras says squatting in front of the fire, both hands extended. The ember lights making shadows with the almost too perfect facial features. A human Tedras was, but too many thought Tedras was an elf, or half-elf. But if Tedras was soft looking, that was all a faccade! Part of the charm.
So after asking around I find this place a few miles into the woods, a lodge where people made weird bets and good amounts of money was exchanged. There I'm rolling high on the 4 Dragon game and ready to call it a night, when a patron, a Troglodyte fellow by the name of Irk, tells me I can double my platinum coins if I bet with him. Confident, I say yeah, let's do it. Without even asking the bet! Well, the guy says, If you can stay concious with me in a closed room while this candle burns out, you'll double your gains.
Sure, say I, easy money!

Tedras turns around to look at Siobahn and makes a horrible grimace!

Once inside, this Irk just starts seeping a horrible liquid! I'm telling you, it was the most offensive smell you can imagine! It pierced my nosetrils and poked holes in my clothes, so sharp it was! The candle is burning, not even half of it, and I'm about to explode, but I'm not losing all that platinum! Not this way! But now my eyes are burning like a Cornugon demon had pulled them out with fiery fingers! I'm actually crying tears of pain and the candle is not burning so painfully slow, I'm about to collapse a lung from the effort! And now the candle is two thirds out! And I'm just thinking about how well Lady Silverspoke smelled last time I saw her, and Lousy Roger pies in Applethorn Inn... you know all sort of things! Finally the candle goes Puff!
I had to scrub so hard I peeled my shoulders!

Tedras rises, now warm, and takes confident strides towards the other side of the room.

Say, Siobhan, want to take Clyde for a stroll? There's a nice moon today, and we may be able to roll some bones at Old Art's Lodge

Tedras grabs an overcoat and heads out.

When Siobhan and Clyde don't move towards the door. Tedras has a change of heart and hangs the overcoat again and instead goes to the bar, warms up a glass and grabbing the best whisky there pours half a measure of it and walks back to the crackling fireplace throwing a glance or two at the magic box.

It's been a while now. I Don't get me wrong, I like the accommodations and the company. But it's been a while. One grows restless thinking that without a gig, all these luxuries have an expiration date.

Tedras pulls one of the sturdy chairs and sits backwards, elbows leaning on the back of the chair, and sips the whisky.

This is damn good! The Vault surely knows their malt. So Leaf, I don't get it, that means you can't or that you won't warm th fire a little bit more?