View Single Post

Thread: Closed: Refugees of the Multiverse

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Closed: Refugees of the Multiverse

So, I was accepted into a game originally advertised here. Alas, it died during the first encounter, like so many other PbP campaigns.

Well, I decided I'm gonna run it.

I'll be accepting applications for 4 players, total. One slot has been claimed by another former player, one slot has been rejected, and another is pending. That leaves 2-3 open slots. Gonna keep this open until 3/4 at least 3/11. If we need more time to recruit, then we'll reevaluate then.

EDIT: Due to lack of interest, game will be closed.

BIG 16 - These are copied from the original, I don't see the need for major deviation, but I'm open to requests and suggestions.

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    D&D 5E
    2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Published module with some potential modifications, Planescape.
    3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? 4 total, alts as needed
    5. Alternates will be contacted as needed.
    4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    This forum. Sheets can be hosted on either MythWeavers or D&D Beyond. I have a lot of the books on Beyond, so I should be okay to access the naterial.
    5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Level 3
    6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Starting gold plus 250gp. Plus you can pick an Uncommon magical item each.
    7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    Stick to classes from any published first party book. No homebrew or 3rd party material.
    8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    You can use any race from the Players Handbook or the Fantastical Races section of Monsters of the Multiverse.
    9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    27 point buy, no score over 15 (pre-mods) to start. Hit points are maximum to start.
    10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    Alignment is heavily considered in Planescape. You can be any alignment, so long as you can work with others.
    11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Multiclass at will.
    12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    I will roll mine and a few of yours, you will roll most of yours.
    13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    **This is very important. You need three character sheets. These can be as similar or as different as you like to each other. They are all aspects of your main character, and will be explained in character. See spoiler below.
    14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    A character background is required. Because it is the planes, pretty much any wacky background can make sense for the game. Let your imagination run free. Doesn't have to be long, as you are only third level. Just keep it brief and interesting.
    15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    As it is a published module, it will be a balanced mixture of all of these.
    16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    You can use any first party book. But please include a brief description of what things do, to make it easier for me to see at a glance what you are capable of without having to look up every ability.

Please let me know if I have missed anything important, or if you have questions.

Thank you, and I look forward to your submissions. Cheers.

Spoiler: 3 Character Sheet Multiverse Thing
    Show

In response to some of these questions, I'll elaborate a little.

This campaign uses a concept called "glitch characters." Each is a sort of incarnation of your characters. This concept feels pretty explicitly lifted from the Marvel Multiverse type of thing - there are 3 different Spider-Mans, each with slight variations on the same themes. This concept applies, but there's more freedom. Characters can be of different races, classes, etc., but maybe they share personality traits, a shared appearance/style, an item, or a secret birthmark/tattoo.

Once players have created their characters, ask each player the following questions and have them record their answers:

What was the greatest decision or turning point in your character’s life? If your character made a different decision, how might their life be different? How would they be different if they made choices based on others’ expectations?

What is something your character wishes they could change about themselves? How would the best version of themselves be different?

What is your character’s signature possession or physical trait? What makes you certain that your character would retain this no matter what could have happened in their life?

From there, we can determine which will be your initial character, and you'll pilot that one. At different junctures in the campaign, characters may die, may somehow become swapped out with glitch characters, may be able to "tag-in" one character instead of or with another, etc. I don't want to give anything about the campaign away, but it'll be in that vein.
    Last edited by Postmodernist; 2024-04-09 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Timeline updates