A mate of mine pointed this one out to me, I've been trying to give the Avatar system a proper go for a while now. And also who doesn't love Seven Samurai stuff? Count me interested.

If the expanded playbooks from Wan Shi Tong are alright, I've got a bit of an idea for a The Elder. (if not that's cool too!)

Vague pitch outline for that :

She is a waterbender from the Southern Water Tribe, all traditional like. The years and timeline are a little hazy in the rule book, but some decades in the past still seems to be during the heyday of the Fire Nation raids to capture the waterbenders of the Southern Water Tribe which is the main jumping off point for my character.

She was almost caught in one of these raids but her brothers rescue her in a daring high seas raid, and from then on she joins up with them as a medicine woman and healer while they try to harass and draw away Fire Nation ships that come to raid.

This is a success for a period of time, until it isn't. Big storm maybe, or just finally their luck runs out. But disaster strikes and all ships are wrecked. Everybody assumed lost at sea, with her waterbending keeping her safe enough to eventually wash up on land again alive. Probably somewhere south Earth Kingdom? For as much as it matters there.

Lost all contact with home and family now, nowhere can be home again, so she decides to continue the fight as a pirate. Tradition is out the window at this point, she waterbends to fight now too, and learns the punchy kinda fighting too and all that Elder technique learning and skills. Very successful, very feared, her new pirate identity name is whispered in hushed toned in every port. I'll have to work up a Dread Pirate Roberts style thing to it in all that.

However many years or decade/s pass to game time, rumours reach her totally incidentally that one of her brothers may still be alive out in this Earth Kingdom village. She sets out immediately to this village to see for herself.

Probably wouldn't really want to get involved in this Seven Samurai stuff at first blush, but if her brother is alive and there she would move heaven and earth for family. If not, seeing Fire Nation displace innocent people from their homes would set her off too. Not to mention, too much of a secret softie to let well meaning young folk shoulder such a fight on their own.