Grau gives a wounded frown at Aliani's cutting remark involving shoving a document involving a murder into a bin to be forgotten about, while Kroft seems to rally herself a bit, a note of indignation cutting into her voice.

"Being Field Marshall especially means that I don't get to choose where and when to apply the law, Mr. Rose, nor would tearing it up in front of that smug bastard and flinging the damn pieces into his face have accomplished anything besides alert the Arbiters that I can no longer be trusted to enforce the city's laws. And as it turns out, he had already sent advance notice to the Arbiters to expect something of this nature, so I'm sure it wouldn't have taken long for a copy to find its way into the Arbiters' hands even if I had tried to suppress this. To say nothing of the fact that someone clearly has been sitting on a plan to make Trinia Sabor the scapegoat for Eodred's death for quite some time. I'd love to know what the Gazette's source is."

Despite her outburst of irritation at Aliani, Kroft isn't able to sustain it for long and slumps back into her tired state a few moments later, rubbing her temples before giving an exasperated sigh and nodding tiredly in Dalen's direction.

"And Mr. Rittle has the right of it - I'm going to pretend that my exhaustion had me hearing things a moment ago, and that I did *not* hear all of you openly planning ways to thwart Korvosa's justice system over a capital crime, in front of the Field Marshall of the city guard, right in the middle of her own office. At least let me have that much, please. If Ms. Sabor is going to be saved, it will need to be through strictly legal means."

"W-w-what about exonerating evidence? If we c-c-can provide t-testimony of s-s-similar weight to Miss S-Sabor's confession, s-s-surely the Arbiters will take t-that into consideration as well!"

Ishani offers next, prompting Grau to thump his fist into his hand.

"Hey, that's right! We've got that slimeball Kreed locked up downstairs, he was a big part of Lamm's operation too, right, named in his letter and everything! If he says Trinia didn't do it, then the Arbiters have to balance that against her confession, right?"

"And the Asmodeans have the weight of Trinia's torture to offer to attest to her confession's "authenticity". What do we have to offer to prove Mr. Kreed's testimony is true?"

Kroft objects, looking as if she just ate something bitter as she argues in support of Trinia's confession, according to the law of Korvosa.

"The word of a servant of Abadar!"

Ishani insists sternly, and then returns to his default quiet stammering.

"Or at least, I c-c-could f-f-force him to t-t-t-testify within a zone of t-t-truth! Well, I don't have t-t-that blessing p-prepared, s-s-so t-tomorrow, or I'd have to go get a s-s-scroll from the t-t-temple! F-for a n-n-nominal fee, of c-course!"

"No! I'm more scared than I've ever been in my life, but I don't want anyone to go through what I just did! If you have to hurt him to save me, then -"

Trinia objects, her tone forceful enough to cause Ishani to jump back, raising his hands placatingly.

"N-no no, it w-won't hurt him! If he doesn't want to t-t-testify, he can just remain s-s-silent! No t-t-torture involved!"

"Magical collection of evidence is a . . . complicated topic in Korvosan law, particularly enchantments, even divinatory ones like Zone of Truth. It would probably be less controversial if you were able to use a Discern Lies spell, and then interviewed him Ishani."

"Still doesn't mean he has to say anything useful though. You sure we can't just . . . "encourage" him to volunteer information, just a little?"

Grau suggests, immediately getting skewered by a glare from both Kroft and Trinia.

"No prisoner of the city guard is going to be harmed, not even for this."

"No hurting other people for me! Not to help me-"

Trinia turns her glare on Aliani.

"Not to rescue me."

Glares at Jeqem

"And certainly not to make someone take my place! I did this to myself, and if I have to I'll pay the . . . the . . ."

Here Trinia's bravado finally fails, and the young painter collapses back into tears.

"Well. We still have some options open to us before it comes to that. I suggest we make what time left we have available to us before nightfall, and our hand is forced."

Kroft says with grim determination.

Downtime Options!

The city is not going to **** just yet, so you can split the party without fear of getting jumped and dying a horrible, sad - yet hilarious - death all alone. But in the few hours prior to nightfall, how would you like to spend your time? Available options provided by the DM are below:
  • Speak to Adonis Kreed, and see what he is willing to testify to in regards to Trinia's involvement with the conspiracy - without *making* him talk.
  • Go see the queen, if she has woken up yet, and ask her to help - discretely
  • Go investigate the Gazette and see if you can find out how they got the information on Trinia so fast - and from whom
  • Go speak to the Cerulean Society about the offer Turk made
  • Pre-emptively try to put out some of the riots by rounding up the expected ringleaders, convincing the townsfolk not to freak out over the reveal of Eodred's murderer in the paper, etc.
  • Go speak to the Arbiters to testify to what you know/poke holes in Trinia's confession
  • Gather information (your choice of topic)