Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
Hopefully there's not an actual hard disagreement over the spirit wood. I'll just point out that:

1) I'm actually planning to do something with it next, and don't have other plans...

2) Shandara is the one who paid for it.

3) There was no actual agreement, verbal or otherwise, to share it.

4) We can probably expect more spirit wood arriving sometime later in game time.. though in pbp a few months could be years in real life.

edit: yeah, I am rather confused by this whole notion of, "I own it," said so confidently. This is said by the guy who only had 100/800 gp to buy it, not even counting expense of the other wood he was interested in buying. He offered that he could try to get a loan, but again, nothing was ever concretely agreed upon. The wood seller never agreed to hold the wood, nor sell it on promise of a loan, nor say explicitly he was selling to Aiden.

Either way: I'm all for experimenting with the wood (again, this is what I am about to do now that other plots are resolved). I'm all for keeping Aiden in the loop and involved. But I do want control/ownership of it because what I want to do primarily is attempt to make wands out of it, not cups, flutes, and drum sticks.
It’s possible we have an OOC disagreement about that scene, but we don’t have a squabble, that’s for sure. We’re cool.

I read and reread the old posts to be sure, because I know I took it OOC as a loan Aiden would pay back. That’s why he says he owns it - on the basis that Shandara was loaning him the money for the purchase, not leaning in to swipe the sale from under him.

Furthermore, I think that was probably understood at the time of the post. Aiden asks for time to get a loan, Shandara says she’ll cover it and whatever Aiden wants, he thanks her profusely and says he’s good for the money. She doesn’t reply directly, but you did post her immediate thought following - “He’d better pay me back.”

If she’s decided after the fact to change the conditions of that arrangement, because she sees more value in the purchased object than the loan, she’s sharking him. I can’t see anything that changes that fact. She might feel justified in doing so, and may have convinced herself after the fact that it was her purchase with Aiden running alongside; but the written reality of the scene was that he needed a loan, she covered the loan, and she ruminated on her expectation for him to pay her back.

The legal reality is that she put down the money and, after she told Aiden to leave it with her, it’s in her house. Even if Aiden was litigious it would be hard to get around that. Perhaps he could drag master Dunfen in as a witness, but it’s shaky.

But with that concession, Aiden isn’t upset at the prospect of losing the nifty wood as much as he sees Shandara going back on their agreement; and Aiden doesn’t really have many gears to deal with what feels like an (admittedly mild) betrayal of trust.

If Shandara remains convinced she is the owner of the wood, that there was no loan stated or implied, and that Aiden has no grounds to expect any part of it at all, he can’t really do anything about that. He’ll just be hurt.