View Single Post

Thread: OOTS #1298 - The Discussion Thread

1. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1298 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by fuschiawarrior View Post
    When Bloodfeast was first polymorphed he had horns going through him, he wasn't bissected then and he isn't going to be bissected now.
    Thank you -- I just thought it was excessively implausible, but knowing there's also precedent is even better. (^_~)

Edit, to add:

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    On the one hand, sure, Rich feels free to ignore or simply not look up D&D rules when he doesn't feel like it. On the other hand, we know he has meticulously planned some of these story beats years or even decades ahead of time.

*Spoiler* - I'm not The Giant, so I'm just guessing, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was already thinking about the beats of this specific fight all the way back in Blood Runs in the Family. Not the panel-by-panel details, but something like "The Allosaur 'bite into a grapple' is kinda neat, what if the party needed a way to bring the dragon down to the ground? That would be awesome, but it'd look dumb if the dragon is way bigger, so I'll make them about the same size."
    The Giant's planning reminds me of a scene decades ago from a favorite author -- one of the group has the Warstone (ring), which flames to life with the power to bind/summon that which will be needed. Often well beforehand, so that it seems nonsensical or even horrible to the wielder who doesn't know why. In the last example of the series, it tries to force her to summon a giant crystal dragon away from the ancestral home of the people it protects, and she refuses.

Guess what monster shows up in the final battle between Darkness and Light, with no countermatch (thus no evident way to keep it from simply burning the army of Light to death from the air) because of her refusal.
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2024-02-20 at 02:45 PM.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."