"It is nonetheless considered legally admissible evidence. One of Domina's many contributions to our fair city's "improved and expediated legal code."

Kroft says with more than a hint of bitterness.

"Nonetheless, the Arbiters are not complete fools - they are aware confessions for anything can be extracted, even for the absurd - such as the murder of a god. If enough hard evidence can be provided to counter what Trinia claims to have done, and prove her own viewpoint false, it may be possible to convince them to ignore it as false testimony. In fact if this was not a high crime of treason and thus immune to such a defense, I'm sure some lawyers would attempt to argue a case of temporary insanity, arguing for rehabilitation rather than punishment."

"Great, so I'd just be locked up for the rest of my life getting "help" in an asylum rather than tortured to death . . . I'm so ****ed."

Trinia groans, sitting back into the corner with her knees drawn up to her chin, clearly trying to make herself as small as possible as she fights back tears.

"I'm so sorry I made another problem for you all. They were hurting me and I just wanted the pain to stop."

"It does feel like Fate itself wants you dead, Miss."

Grau says, speaking up from the corner by the door he had taken up, prompting Silas to suddenly look up, a thoughtful twinkle in his eye.

"Aye . . . it certainly feels like that. I wonder if in a different world, under different circumstances, the outcome would be the same."

Silas offers, clearly hinting (i.e. Secret Message via Bluff) at something that only each of you know - you have all come here from different worlds than this one, but each of them had Trinia Sabor die in them. Now admittedly that might not be that unusual - Eodred has died in all of your worlds that you've seen too, and the general course of events have played out along similar lines - you kllling Lamm (eventually), Ileosa becoming chosen as Korvosa's official new ruler, etc. But you had tried to help Trinia in those other worlds too, and she had inevitably died in some horrible manner in every one of those worlds. Almost like, as here in this world, Fate itself is pushing back against your efforts to save her and force the outcome of her death for some bizarre cosmic reason. And for those who had seen Haeluna's transformation and been subjected to her horrific mental assault, that chilling, thunderous voice mocking you from the darkness - "You will fail. You will always fail."

Kroft glances at Silas for a moment with a raised eyebrow, and then simply dismisses whatever she was thinking with a shake of her head.

"I'm only concerned about what's happening in this world, right here and now. And I certainly would like to know where the Gazette got their information from - it seems a little too convenient for them to not only know the Arbiters are deliberating over a potential Kingslayer, but to have a description of Trinia good enough to sketch that relatively close facsimile."

"PLEASE don't call me that!"

Trinia cries from over in the corner, prompting Ishani to reflexively place a reassuring hand on her shoulder, only to immediately jerk his hand away when she hisses in pain at his touch.

"I b-b-believe in your innoc-c-c-ence, M-Miss S-S-Sabor."

The cleric offers, clearly not knowing what else he can offer at the moment.

Then Turk gives his offer of aid from the Cerulean Society, and Kroft goes quiet for a long moment, clenching her hands into fists on her desk.

"I swore when I took this position that I would *not* be like Field Marshall Jeggare, applying the Law subjectively and not just surrendering to corruption and convenience but welcoming it! I have done everything in my power to rebuild the Korvosan Guard as the beacon of justice and even-handed application of the law that my fa . . . that *I* dreamed it could be. I'm sure that your Masters at the Cerulean Society, "Turk", will be delighted to have a new "understanding" with me about how its members should be sentenced for their crimes, over the common riff-raff of the city. And all it will cost me is my soul . . . damn you from bringing me this offer, Zandu Hellspire of the Godclaw."

The strength and conviction in Kroft's face melts away as she slumps in her city, looking down at her hands, seeming less like the Field Marshall of Korvosan in that moment and more a weary and beaten-down young woman, not that much different from Trinia.

"But I suppose it's only proper for a Hellknight to offer me something for that. If my soul can purchase the safety of Korvosa's citizens for at least one more night from this recent madness, then it's a price I will gladly pay. Go tell your Masters that if they help keep the rioting and looting to a minimum for the duration of this Kingsl - until Trinia's innocence is proven, then we can come to a new understanding."