Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
I could try that but I do think the sourness from the sour cream matters in the flavor. Just like how buttermilk and milk are not remotely the same thing. Edit: I guess technically the main difference is that in cream cheese you lose the whey, but in sour cream it's still emulsified in? Pure whey definitely has a distinct flavor... Edit 2: Also sour cream has huge brand and regional variations so I'm not sure without being very specific we'd have the same experiences. I remember that sour cream I was able to find in Japan basically was cream cheese, whereas the sour cream I get here is fragile enough that if you blend it you basically get something thinner than half and half. And Mexican-style sour cream was a totally different thing too...

(Also, even with the sour cream you start to hit issues with the ice cream wanting to be on the firm side. With cream cheese, I fear you'd have a brick that wouldn't even melt at room temperature, like if you do a peanut butter ice cream with too much peanut butter. So probably I won't actually try making cream cheese ice cream.)
Soften it first, the same way you'd make a cream cheese frosting. Coldstone makes a cheesecake flavored ice cream by the same method.