Quote Originally Posted by Catullus64 View Post
GM/DM. Making up worlds, cultures, creatures, adventures, and magics is the better part of why I'm into this hobby.

It also gives you power, which is not intrinsically bad. The GM has authority to shape a lot about the pace, tone, and feel of the game, and I think that power well worth the responsibilities which accompany it; and if a rule system has frustrating or badly thought-out elements, I like being in a position to remedy them directly.
Well put, this is very similar to how I feel. Getting people together to play and keeping a group together in the long term is notoriously hard; I've spent far more time creating adventures/worlds and tinkering with dysfunctional rules (I usually play D&D 3.5 so there are plenty of them...) than I have actually playing. There's only so much time you can spend tinkering with a single character, but an entire world/game system can be a full-time hobby.

I do like to play as a player now and then, for a change of pace and to remind myself what the game looks like from the other side of the screen, but by choice I'd spend at least three-quarters of my playing time GMing.