After you're done salvaging food from the wagon, a brief discussion ends with a consensus to carry on at least until sunset.

Following the road, you reach the east bridge off the island with no further issues. The bridge is 15’ wide and made of sturdy wooden planks laid across long logs, which are supported every 30’ by stone piles coming out of the river. It’s about three hundred feet across to the far shore.

Nothing looks dangerous or out of place, so you walk up the ramp and start to cross the bridge.

As you reach the mid-point, a large humanoid with fish-like features and scales, and a lower body that appears to be a moving column of water, rises out of the river 20’ upstream of the bridge. It’s clad in damp, but well-made silk clothing that uses seashells as buttons. It speaks with a deep and clear, but slightly gurgly voice.

“Woe, woe upon you travelers, for I am Ghussam the Gregarious, and my siblings and I have been contracted to prevent travel in this region. I, specifically, am to prevent the travel of any living mortals across this bridge.”

Spoiler: Arcana DC 12
Show
Ghussam the Gregarious is a Marid, an aquatic type of genie.