Quote Originally Posted by zylodrizzt View Post
Nibum swallows his pride and buries his anger and speaks to siduri Captain says im to work with you and so i shall. I must defer to you in this matter. Why might the cult of apophis align with Trionyx? Something to do with the heresy?
Her expression tightens and she fingers the amulet around her neck. "Yes--this is what I was afraid of. The Litany of Kin claims Tiamat's authority over all reptilian gods, even those that have always been considered independent. If Trionyx can command the loyalty of the Apophidians and unite them with the cult of Tiamat, that alone would be a grave danger to us all. It was possible that the heresy would not persuade them, but... it seems we cannot hope that any longer."

"With this tome, Trionyx's power is waxing, and the cult recognizes power. The effects Fork described -- frightening beasts, quenching flames, disrupting sleep -- they attend only the most powerful artifacts. And the predator unleashed in the wilds... sometimes these powerful tomes are used to imprison enemies of the authors, and tampering can release them?" She smiles weakly. "We could hope it killed him, I suppose."

She looks at the group. "Do any of you recognize the creature from what Fork saw? If I had a bestiary..."

Spoiler: Religion or Arcana 15+
Show
The cached, transforming body makes it sound like one of the slaadi, frog-like Outsiders of chaotic nature that reproduce by infecting humanoids. The slaadi were the original masters of the Hic Sunt and were driven out by the dragons and their inheritors, so one could quite plausibly be trapped in a lawful, Tiamatic tome.