Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
And Shadowheart, Astarion, and to a certain extent Karlach as well (who is clearly in the closet about wanting to live longer) and Lae'zel.

Although honestly I find the implication, intentional or otherwise, of 'characters being trans or not only matters if it's a story about personal identity' kind of insulting.

ETA: there are deep deep issues with the relatively common assertion that Karlach is the 'obvious' pick for a trans character, especially the fact that it plays into stereotypes.
I mean I get strong trans vibes from Karlach for reasons other than her being a musclebound barb with intense big sister energy. It helps that her VA (Samantha Beart, who is enby and uses she/they) said she played her as somewhat flexible (more specifically here, at MCM comicon - Timestamped at 22:40). Trying to be as friendly as possible and not looking like a threat is something I can also very specifically relate to (in my experience as a trans woman) - not because I'm especially big or intimidating but very much because I'm aware of being perceived as a threat.

A lot of it comes from her being a tief (I can and have wrote long essays on tieflings as surrogate queer folk), but there's also the way she approaches a romance (thanks to her story she will flirt, but then nervously walk it back), her casualness with gendering herself and just her whole vibe.

A lot of the trans headcanoning comes from trans folk projecting on her (myself included), but I also understand why you might be wary about it being stereotypical, though.