Quote Originally Posted by Beeftank View Post
Huh, that seems odd. What else do you drink when having stuff with peanut butter?
Fruit juice, tea, soft drinks in general, or just plain ol' water.

To be honest, the answer to "what do you drink..." is pretty much always "tea" over here. With a full-on meal you

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
Then take more culture! Europeans developed lactose tolerance and you Britons just discard it? Milk itself isn't even really a drink and milkshakes are only for kids? Is this some sort of self-loathing thing?

Imean, I'd say that surely you guys at least cook with it, but then i remember y'alls national dishes are, like, beans on toast, meat pies, and a toad in a hole?
Our national dishes are fish and chips, chicken tikka masala, and roast beef (not all at the same time), thank you very much.

Like anonymouswizard says, we do put milk in tea, and get through a fair amount that way. We also have it on cereal. Some people put it in their coffee (I don't). And we eat a lot of cheese. Plus cream with puddings and on scones and so on. So we still consume plenty of dairy products, we just don't feel the need to drink the stuff neat.

I think there is also a legitimate query over what the nutritional benefit of the majority of milk sold actually is. Once it's been skimmed and homogenised, most of the actual nutrients are gone. You have to add calcium back to it before you can even make cheese with the stuff, and honestly, given what US food standards are like I'd be surprised if the stuff over there is any better for the most part. The idea that drinking a lot of milk is good for you is probably at least 80% marketing in the first place, but it's also probably hopelessly out of date, as most modern mass-market milk has all the nutritional value of sugary, slightly salty water. I try to consume unhomogenised milk for that reason (which tastes so much better), although I must admit it doesn't work as well in tea.