View Single Post

Thread: Personal Woes and Advice 6

1. - Top - End - #878
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Personal Woes and Advice 6

I suspect I may have got super lucky for the last decade and not known it at the time until now.

I'm in a converted old house building which I'm in a section where I'm the bottom flat, there's a flat above me, and then one more above that.

When I moved in the flat above was an older couple. Guy was a bit of a grumpy sod who I mainly interracted with but we generally got on all right and could exchange pleasantaries. In my first couple of months living there I quickly learned that using the 5.1 sound system I brought when I first moved in was going to result in a very passive aggressive pounding on the ceiling when I used it during the day. Of course I wouldn't use it too late at night as even when I was much younger I was at least that aware it might be loud enough to keep people from sleeping. So the sound system got sold and peace resumed.

Then the couple moved out late last year. Apparently the main reason was due to having issues with the people above them who my confirmation they actually existed was they occasionally got mail.

I think after that it was being rented out, and I didn't notice a difference until a couple of months back when I was woken up a loud raucous conversation at 5 am. I couldn't believe it so lay in bed going WTF at the ceiling until normal wake up time.

This repeated a couple of times at 5-6am until I completely lost it, not wanting to be passive aggressive myself it was clearly better to go make my feelings clear directly, pulled on some clothes, stormed upstairs and pointedly pointed out exactly what time it was. That seemed to sort that at least.

From last month though it's been pretty much every night. So much so it might be someone different from the early morning talkers. Loud slams, stamping, banging, and listening to stuff loud enough to hear through the ceiling from 1-4am. Almost like the concept of being careful with your stuff, volume controls, and headphones are entirely alien concepts to them.

One night I was even treated to the unmistakable sounds of DIY.

This time when I was next up for engaging in a direct confrontation which was 3am of that same night I didn't get an answer when I knocked, and not much of a reduction in noise after I said my piece to the closed door.

Tried again just last Friday, this time not bothering to go to bed, and trying to catch them doing it as early as possible to try and talk this out in a mature fashion. That ended up being 1am so up I go, knocked, and no answer again. Could hear plates moving so clearly they're not down for confrontation either... Knocked a few more times, said another piece about the concept of yes I understand not everyone does the same hours but also sleep deprivation is a thing, etc.

So I've now emailed the flat management company documenting what happened asking for some kind of help though I don't know if there's anything they can do. I'm hoping that they're renting from someone who brought the flat, and that they've got that standard wording in regard to being quiet from 11pm-7am proviso which they can be reminded of in an official manner.

Not sure what else to do myself other than that. I've had to start using ear plugs every night to get any kind of sleep, so yay extra expense I didn't need, the ear plugs are annoying to sleep in just with the pressure in the ears, I'm not someone who drops off easily as it is at the best of times, and then sometimes they're loud enough to hear through the plugs waking me up.

Can't ask the family in the top flat if they're having problems with the up all night lifestyle too as they've got a newborn baby so I'm well aware that'd be a dang silly question to ask because of that.
    Last edited by Trixie_One; 2023-12-04 at 05:25 PM.