Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
Carol can't and shouldn't be the new Steve Rogers. For one, she's not beholden to any particular government or power the way he is, not even in a lip-service way, her association with Nick Fury is entirely voluntary. (Not that they'd be able to constrain her even if she was.) But for two. she's just too powerful. You couldn't really do a Winter Soldier type story with her, she'd just grab the helicarriers and throw them into the sun. The best way to use her is to explain that space is big and have her show up for global threats when she's in the neighborhood.

We already have a new Steve Rogers - Sam Wilson.
I wasn't really speaking in a literal sense, but a spiritual sense. Had Chadwick Boseman not passed away, Carol Danvers and T'Challa would have replaced Steve Rogers and Tony Stark as the emotional and intellectual leaders of the Avengers respectively. It would have been a big upgrade in terms of power, as you point out, but the Avengers would have faced much greater threats so it'd even out.

If I'm being totally honest, as well, Antony Mackie isn't leading man material. He lacked the commanding presence he needed in both the second season of Altered Carbon and that episode of Black Mirror he was in and Falcon and Winter Soldier suffered because it felt like two sidekicks working together and that was in a TV show. The most compelling parts of that show were when John Walker or Zemo were on the screen. What's it going to be like when the movie comes out? Is Sam Wilson just going to get overshadowed by other characters with more screen presence? Say what you want about Brie Larson but she can carry a movie.

You need someone like Carol Danvers to lead the Avengers, both from an in-universe perspective and a meta one. You need someone who says "I'm in charge" without ever having to say a word.