Old Shadow shrugs at Laura's questions and with a thoughtful hmmm, he replies, "Perhaps, though that wasn't necessarily what I was referring to. Hobgoblins are things of The Wyrd; they are concepts and not humans. No matter how much like a person a hob might behave, it is ultimately a construct... like a computer AI. You just don't know how it might behave, because it just isn't human." This all comes out matter-of-factly, Shadow finishes with another tired sigh.

Shadow nods his head slowly, indicating that he does indeed know Giant. His expression grows concerned as Laura continues, the heavy wrinkles in his brow deepening. Before he speaks, Shadow takes a long drink from the beer Laura bought him, adams apple bobbing with each lusty gulp. He puts the glass down nearly half empty. Then he says, "You are very kind Laura, but I don't think you can blame yourself." He studies her with his cold grey eyes, one hand stroking at his long mustache. "But I take it you are planning to try to rescue her then," Shadow says, rather than asks, his voice low and serious.