Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
i'm still real sad the whole "Phonebloks" idea never took off.

Basically it was an idea for a "Phone" that was effectively just a circuit-board with various connectors and pins around it, and you purchased the individual parts you wanted to customize your phone, and keep the thing long-term.

Want a phone for making calls and don't care about the camera? Replace the camera for some extra battery space. Use your phone to hold a lot of information? swap out the memmory for something with a bit higher power. Like taking photos? Get a really specialized camera. Want to do all three? Just mix and match the parts you like as needed.

This way you could also do things like just replacing the camera when the camera breaks, instead of needing to buy a whole new phone Or swapping out a touchscreen for a normal screen and some keys if you'd like.

It was a great idea, but unfortunately never took off. Real shame, i hate being forced to throw out otherwise perfectly good electronics just because one small, but important piece of it broke.
I believe they're designed like that because it makes people have to throw them away