1. - Top - End - #213
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Baldur's Gate 3 II: The Urge for a Second Playthrough

I'm optimistic because things like graphical fidelity are finally starting to plateau. Devs won't be pushed to chase graphical increases as much as they have been in generations past, which is one of the big sources of throwing out engines and starting over.

Baldurs Gate 2 released in the year 2000 on the Infinity Engine. 2 years later, two D&D games came out - Icewind Dale 2 (also Infinity Engine) and Neverwinter Nights, on the Aurora Engine. NWN absolutely trounced IW2 in sales. That's not to say that IW2 did badly, but a publisher being interested in signing off on a a sequel project won't have to weigh such considerations if the engine is largely the same.

In chasing new engines, sometimes devs run into problems too, such as the bugginess of the Electron Engine or the massive workflow problems with Frostbite.

Quote Originally Posted by Errorname View Post
    It's going to be prohibitively difficult for modders to make content that matches the polish of this game's presentation, so I'd definitely prefer if they invested in professional funded teams.
    Well sure, but I don't need Larian near-perfection on everything. What I'd like is to experience some of the older D&D titles I missed from my childhood, without having to wrestle with obsolete editions or Dosbox.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2023-10-12 at 09:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)