Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
Spoiler
Show
Concerning Jade Empire - the whole water dragon thing is a little silly when you think about it. The Water Dragon says "Emperor Sun would not accept that his Empire had to fade so that something new would bloom. He declared war as if the drought was an advancing army."

But like... wasn't it? Whole towns were dropping like flies as the drought went on, tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of innocent people were dying off through no fault of their own. What exactly did she expect the Sun brothers to do, just shrug and let it happen? "Oh those silly humans down there, they just refused to give up and let me choke them out on schedule like I was supposed to." It's not like they caused the initial drought - she did, and gave no reason for it other than it was clearly marked on her calendar in ink.

All the game can really do to drum up sympathy is have your companions stand around exclaiming about what a crime against the natural order this whole thing is, while presenting no counterpoints or alternatives. Her best argument is a vague "some other land you'd never heard of is going thirsty, probably. Honest." Yeah, I can't imagine why the Sun brothers would prioritize their own land and people dying right in front of their faces over some rando other nation they'd probably never even see...
Exactly, yeah.

Like I understand the philosophy and mysticism this idea comes from, but it's so bizarre for the game to just so UNCRITICIALLY parrot that philosophy and treat it as an immutable proof.