Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
On another note, this discussion reminds me that I've never tried Jade Empire, maybe I should get around to that at some point? Would people familiar with it say it's likely to hold up even without nostalgia?
The story can take a while to get off the ground, the combat longer, and there's clear signs that the final three chapters suffered from crunch Bioware Magic. The story remains good, but it's clearly missing an intended questing hub and the depth that would bring.

The combat... it's complicated, it's not good combat but once you're comfortable with 4+ styles it's enjoyable, especially when you're taking out enemies fast enough to generate plenty of Qi and Focus powerups. It just would have been better if they'd gone with 4-6 deep styles rather than like forty shallow ones.

If you find it on sale for a tenner I'd say it's definitely worth it, it may or may not be at the £15 asking price.

A tip: don't start with Thousand Cuts on your first playthrough. The light attack combo ends with a flourish which IIRC makes it take as long as White Demon's, although spamming the first two moves is viable. Any of the other three are fine, I think Leaping Tiger is considered the best but I personally prefer White Demon or Legendary Strike.