Session 7: 8/27/2023
We have a potential 4th player joining, who doesn’t have much experience with D&D. She says she wants to play a druid. The party will be still more squishy if so. We’ll see.

As the party approaches the area of the druid grove, they see that to their right, it’s more lowlands with a lot of water and kind of swampy, and to their left, it’s more hilly and forested. They choose the hill route. Near the edge of the grove, they notice a cottage. It’s small, but appears occupied, with a small curl of smoke from the chimney. They cautiously knock, and an elderly lady bids them to enter.

The cottage has a single ground-floor room, plus what is probably a bedroom loft space upstairs. Herbs and dried plants hang from the rafters, and the tables along the back host what appears to be an extensive setup for processing herbs, brewing potions, and the like. Several of the tables are overturned, and the crates lying around are a bit messy, but this doesn’t bother the frail-looking older woman, who introduces herself as Adratha.

The party is a bit suspicious, especially since I pass Ludwig’s character a note that his sword is warm (he has Kondar, the sword that grows warm in the presence of shapeshifters) – which is partly negated by someone pointing out that Cernd is right there with them. Adratha has a variety of potions for sale, and they buy two potions of lightning resistance. She claims that none of the druids have bothered her, but that she has noticed less traffic recently, and that her boy Sadat helps keep her safe in the swamps when she’s harvesting herbs. Sadat is not in the room, and she says he’s probably out back working or something.

When the party leaves, they don’t notice anyone out back. Whenever they meet the Djinni in Trademeet, they are going to know EXACTLY where to come.

They head into the druid grove, quickly finding a broad path to follow. Ludwig’s player says “From everything I’ve heard about enchanted forests, let’s not wander off the path.” They also discuss not investigating hearing your name called in the distance, the sound of distant screams, experiences with bobcats, etc.

Taking the hilly path, they happen upon 5 giant spiders (medium sized). At a distance of about 60’, they discuss what to do until Cormak says he’s going to cast Mirror Image. That has a verbal component, so that lets the spiders know they are there. One of them is a Phase Spider, which disappears and later re-appears behind Cernd, then rolls 1, 1, 4, 6 or something similar and never lands a hit. Really scary.

Cormak moves to the front and takes a couple of hits that Mirror Image stops, then falls back and he, Ludwig, and Cernd form a line that the spiders engage. Cormak ends up taking a couple of hits anyway due to the dice, as does Ludwig and Cernd. Mergand stays in the back sniping with his crossbow or Chill Touch and I think Hunter’s Mark.

They push on, not stopping to heal, for a while. The map says Sword Spiders, but I pull up my statblock and it’s CR6, so it’s only one Sword Spider. Unfortunately for them, its Stealth check was a 24 and even rolling active Perception, nobody spotted it until it dropped out of a tree in front of Ludwig. I think it missed with its first hit.
Here’s the sword spider statblock:

Spoiler
Show

Spider, Sword
This spider’s legs resemble spiny swords. They are extra-long, and even its body appears armored. The spider moves extremely quickly.
Large beast
Armor Class 18 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 90
Speed 50 ft., climb 50 ft.
Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
14(+2) 20(+5) 14(+2) 3(-4) 11(0) 4(-3)
Skills Stealth +7
Senses Blindsight 10 Ft., Darkvision 60 Ft., passive Perception 10
CR 6
Spider Climb. The spider can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check.
Web Sense. While in contact with a web, the spider knows the exact location of any other creature in contact with the same web.
Web Walker. The spider ignores movement restrictions caused by webbing.
Actions
Multiattack. The sword spider rears up on its two back pairs of legs, and stabs and slashes with the two front pairs for a total of four leg attacks, plus it uses its bite.
Bite. Melee weapon attack, +8 to hit, 5’, 2d8+5 piercing damage + 2d8 poison damage. The target must make a DC 13 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save the target takes the poison damage, or half as much damage on a successful one. If the poison damage reduces the target to 0 hit points, the target is stable but poisoned for 1 hour, even after regaining hit points, and is paralyzed while poisoned in this way
Sword Legs. Melee weapon attack,+8 to hit, 5’, 2d8+5 slashing damage.

I realized pretty quickly that it was a bit much, and dropped the Bite from its attack routine. Ludwig commented that he had a lot of HP, and would take the risk of staying in melee to tank it. It hit with 3 attacks doing 6d8+15 damage and dropped him to 0hp. I hinted that Cernd, their NPC, would recognize this as dangerous and would probably turn into his werewolf form. He does, and basically tanks it until they do over half its HP in damage. I roll a morale check, telling myself it’ll retreat on a 5 or lower, and get a 5. It backs off. They briefly discuss pursuing it, but decide it’s too dangerous.

By the way, here’s Cernd.
Spoiler
Show

Cernd, Moon Druid
Medium Humanoid, 6th level
Armor Class 13
Hit Points 45
Speed 30 ft.
Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
13(+1) 14(+2) 15(+2) 11(0) 18(+4) 10(0)
Saves Str +2, Dex +3, Con +3, Int +4, Wis +8, Cha +1
Skills Animal Handling +7, Insight +7, Nature +3, Persuasion +3
Senses Passive Perception 14
Languages Common, Sylvan, Druidic
Proficiencies Druid weapons
Shapeshifting Druid weapons
Actions
Staff of the High Forest. Melee Weapon Attack, +4 to hit, 5’, 1d8+2 bludgeoning damage.

Spellcasting. DC 15, Spell attack +7
[] [] [] [] 1st level
[] [] [] 2nd level
[] [] [] 3rd level
Attack
Cantrip: Produce Flame (30’, ranged spell attack, 2d8 fire’ can also hold as a light for 10 minutes)
Cantrip: Thorn Whip (30’, melee spell attack, 2d6 piercing and drag creature 10’ closer)
1 Thunderwave (15’ cone, 2d8 thunder dmg & 10’ pushback, Con save half)
2 Moonbeam (C up to 1 min, 120’, 5’ radius cylinder of dim light; when enter or start turn, take 2d10 radiant damage, Con save half; shapechangers have disadvantage, and revert to normal form if they fail; can move the beam as an action on following turns; upcast 1d10/level)
3 Call Lightning (C up to 10 min, 120’, 60’ radius cloud; on casting & as action, 5’ radius bolt, 3d10 lightning damage, Dex save half; if outdoors during storm, +1d10 damage; upcast +1d10/level)
Control
1 Entangle (C up to 1 min, 90’, 20’ square difficult terrain; those in area when cast must make Str save or be restrained; Str save as an action vs spell DC to end restraint)
1 Fog Cloud (C up to 1 hr, 120’, 20’ radius heavily obscured cloud; upcast +20’ radius/level)
2 Hold Person (C up to 1 min, Wis or paralyzed, re-save end of each turn, upcast 1 target/level)
2 Spike Growth (C up to 10 min, 150’, 20’ radius becomes difficult terrain; every 5’ movement does 2d4 piercing damage; anyone who can’t see the ground when spell is cast has to make Perception check vs spell save DC to spot before entering)
Heal
1 Cure Wounds (Touch, 1d8+4, upcast 1d8/level)
Utility
Cantrip: Druidcraft
Cantrip: Mold Earth
Cantrip: Produce Flame (30’, ranged spell attack, 2d8 fire’ can also hold as a light for 10 minutes)
1 Goodberry (create up to 10 berries; each heals 1hp when eaten, and nourishes for 1 day)

Bonus Actions
2 Flame Blade (C, 10 minutes, self; create a flaming sword, can use action to make melee spell attack for 3d6 fire damage; can let go and then resummon as long as Concentration is maintained)
Werewolf Transformation Transform into a humanoid werewolf form, or a medium-sized wolf. Wolf stats are identical to Werewolf, except the wolf form lacks claw attacks, and instead forces a Str-based save-or-prone when biting (DC 8 + PB + STRmod). [] [] 2/Long Rest

Werewolf Transformation (current)
 New AC: 17 (Dex 4, Cloak 1, Natural 2)
 Natural AC +2
 Gain 5 x PB temporary HP on transforming (currently 15)
 Strength & Dexterity set to 12+2*PB (currently 18)
 Gain resistance to non-magic/non-silver bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage.
 Attuned items remain active in his new form, if appropriate. Cannot cast spells or speak.
Multiattack. Bite once, claw once.
Bite. Melee weapon attack, +7 to hit, 5’, 1d8+4 magic piercing damage. In wolf form, DC 15 Str save or prone.
Claw. Melee weapon attack, +7 to hit, 5’, 1d4+4 magic slashing damage.
Werewolf Bonus Action
Claw. Make one additional claw attack.
Change Back.

Items
Staff of the High Forest +1 (attunement): Regenerate 1hp/rd in human form only.
Cloak of the High Forest (attunement): Cloak of Protection +1

Bio
"Cernd declares in a steady and modest tone when you ask about his past, that it has been his honor to serve nature in whatever capacity she did call upon him. It is clear that he is a dedicated servant, and though his demeanor is contemplative and well measured, you are certain that he would not hesitate to risk himself if it would best serve the greater balance."

Levelup
Add 7hp, 1 spell prepared, 1 4th level spell slot

At higher levels:
10th level: Greater Werewolf: Resist fire & cold, Natural Armor +1

14th level: Werewolf Lord: Advantage on Athletics checks when shifted, resist non-magic damage even in human form, bonus to saves vs. magic equal to PB, natural weapon dice increase to 1d10 and 1d6.

The werewolf features look powerful, but they are roughly equal to what a regular PHB Moon Druid can do.
Defense
2x per long rest Cernd gets 15 temp HP (total 30) and also resistance to non-magic/non-silver weapon attacks. If we assume no poison, fire, or other damage sources, his total hit points are (45+15+15 = 75)2 for resistance = 150. If magic weapons or damage are being flung around, his effective HP goes down as he doesn't resist that. A regular moon druid can wildshape into a Polar Bear 2x/short rest, so probably 4x per day. They have no resistances, but base HP of 45, plus 442 = 213 effective hp.
Offense
Cernd's melee damage is at +7 for 1d8+4+2d4+8, average 21.5 Polar bear form druid is at +7 for 1d8+5+2d6+5, average 21.5

The only place Cernd pulls ahead is in AC, as his AC ends up at 17 vs. 12 on the polar bear. Considering the HP gap, that's fine. He also has less flexibility for shifting in and out due to fewer uses/day. Of course, Moon druid is also extremely good at low levels. Not so great at high levels, and I think the werewolf scales better there, at least in terms of defenses.

The group takes a Short Rest after this. Cormak doesn’t heal all the way up to full. At this point, he’s used Spiritual Weapon on the Sword Spider and Mirror Image on the spiders, and has no 2nd level slots remaining. There’s a brief discussion of why Cernd doesn’t need to heal (staff) and I read them the descriptions as though Cernd were talking about them. He’s a bit mono-focused on nature, nature, nature.

During their short rest, Pauden, a druid, comes up. After a little while, Cernd switches back to human form so he can converse. They learn about the new leader, a Shadow Druid named Faldorn, and that not everyone is happy, but that she’s basically untouchable outside of a formal challenge. Mergand’s player says they ask Cernd if he’s planning to make the challenge, and if he thinks he can win.
“A mighty oak may withstand many storms, but none can predict when a tornado might uproot it.” I thought I did a pretty good job making Cernd be annoyingly nature-y.

Pauden says he’ll make sure that enough people are there that Faldorn can’t flout the challenge, and warns them of trolls and a probably attack before they reach her. The challenge can’t be ignored, but the party has to get Cernd there alive to deliver it. They decide that Cernd needs to save his other use of Werewolf form for the day for this.
They actually want to short rest, but it’s like 1pm… so no.

They roll okay on perception vs stealth and spot and bypass the single troll (decided to not do “magic troll” after the last beating), and then very much circle and stay away from the obvious troll lair. They are pretty sure there’s treasure there, but don’t want to mess with it.

After this, they come to a narrow neck where there is water on both sides and a 10’ wide path connecting it. On the other side wait three druids in hide armor, bearing quarterstaffs. One is accompanied by a brown bear, and the other two by panthers. Cernd recognizes one as Kyland, who he describes as “impatient and rash.” There are some threats back and forth, and Kyland accuses Cernd of taking the side of the city-dwellers, asking if his wife begged him to or something. Cernd angrily responds that he has no wife and that is all long behind him.

It is obviously going to a fight, so init is rolled and two Shadow Druids get to go first, opening with Entangle (restrained: Cormak) and Call Lightning (Cernd, Cormak) followed by I think an Ice Knife at the same two targets. Nobody remembered the potions of Lightning Resistance. Cormak goes to 0hp.
The Call Lightning caster gets disrupted. Cernd and Ludwig both get hit with Hold Person. The animals stick pretty close to their individual druid masters as bodyguards. Ice Knife is used a few times, as there aren’t many good long-range non-concentration spells.

It looks pretty bad, as the party is lacking in sufficient ranged firepower and nobody has any good AOEs. TPK is mentioned. I ask about consumables and Mergand re-finds his wand of Cloudkill, dropping that right on the entire group of druids. Most of them take 24 damage from starting their turn in it, killing one panther and leaving another fleeing at 1hp with its master dead. Two druids and the bear advance as fast as they can to get out of the cloud.

The player running Cernd then has them get Thunderwaved them back into the cloud, where they take more damage. The battle ends with one Shadow Druid running away at 30% hp (morale failure). The party short rests, uses a healing potion, and Ludwig picks up a +1 Studded Leather off of Kyland, which brings his AC up to 15.

I mention that this is more of a typical D&D adventuring day with multiple short rests versus the one-encounter nova of the last campaign. Ludwig’s player says he is adjusting. Mergand, meanwhile, still has almost all his spell slots, having cast nothing aside from Hunter’s Mark and cantrips/crossbow attacks. He has no crowd control and almost no non-attack roll based spells. I think he forgot he could quicken stuff for more damage, too.

Overall, I was happy with how things went. It was definitely difficult, but manageable for them as long as they rose to the challenge. There was more discussion of how squishy EVERYONE is and how they really need someone who can take some hits and stand up in melee.