Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
Okay, so what you pretty quickly find out is that just reversing the process doesn't work. It is a bit like trying to pour water into a bucket that is already full. You can think of two ways to try and get around it. First is brute force, with enough energy you can force water to go against the flow. A more energy efficient, but difficult to execute on option would be to adapt the process so first some space is created you could then fill with water, turning the entire thing into a two-step process. Of course, if your only goal is to have a way to dump water somewhere it won't bother you, sending it to some other plane that is not full of water, like the elemental plane of fire, might be easier.

edit: it should be noted that if you sync up your taking and returning rings to operate at the same time from the same spot that would work, but the end result is no water created, and you'd pretty quickly start getting the same bit of water cycling between the two rings. Still, there might be something you could do with that process.
Yes, that's the general idea for when we want to "recycle" water without being wasteful, as in... operating a decorative fountain, for instance. Perhaps, there could even be water mills operated in such a fashion! Almost like a perpetual motion machine! Except that really shouldn't be allowed to work. I'm sure the costs of magic energy and materials make up for it.

Now that you mention it, and I'm thinking about it more, perhaps this whole endeavor is simply ... stupid? My main concern was regarding unsustainable practices and trying to "put back" what was taken, but if I wanted to have something like a fountain... I could just have a SINGLE ring, pulling water from a designated reservoir on the same plane.

So.. I think maybe we should just scrap this idea.