You clash with your opposite, trading blows off each other's shields. A combat that would be over in a few seconds with lethal violence is doomed to protraction. You manage to sneak one blow around the shield with enough force to cause a wheeze and perhaps a bruise, and fend off all your enemy's responses. But it's not until the field shifts that you feel some returned pain - the big man from the central pair on the enemy side did not rush for the spud, but came charging around one of the contraptions into you blind rear angle.

"Lookout!" Daniele calls at the last minute, and you juke away from a shield bash that might have sent you sprawling; as a result, it merely clips your shoulder and sends you spinning and wincing. The big assailant gives you a look that seems suspended between sadistic glee and apology, but behind him the crowd roars - the skinny little whippet of a Reman has beaten both Gallants to the spud, and the dwarf launches himself into the pool with an elbow drop onto Luigiano's back. Suddenly, it's a game of 6 vs 7 instead of even odds; and the Remans rally back to the spud to mount a defence.

"Damn!" Daniele grunts, "No easy win, then. Alright - it's all about teasing them away from the spud now to make a steal possible. Come with me!"

Some tiring back and forth has left you not much the worse for wear, but the spud has remained resolutely in the enemy's possession, much to the crowd's delight. The Gallants have done their best to pry of members of the Ravagers to expose the spud carrier; and the opportunity comes for you and Daniel as the enemy team is pressed by your allies, and you and your partner circle around behind. The spud carrier is fending against Lancers from the front, and is exposed from behind. There are only two obstacles.

One: The Spudletter watches your flanking movie with a wry grin. He is required to fight to protect the spudcarrier, not to warn him of anything. He will certainly oppose your efforts.

Two: The enemy formation is facing as it is because it has its back to one of the columns with the hinged, spinning flails! First, you'll have to pass the mechanical obstacle before you can contend with the dwarven one.

"This is it! Let's go! Keep the dwarf off me!", Daniele commands, and then runs forth. With admirable agility, leaping high with legs straining almost to an aeriel front-split, the wooden flail swings under him and misses him by a whisker, leaving him to resume his charge for the ball.

He almost makes it look easy!

Spoiler: Second Round!
Show
First: Give me an Agility roll to avoid the flail, or else be slapped! And after that, advise me how you plan to keep the Spudletter occupied - do you want to try to goad him into chasing you, or full defense and bunker down, or something more clever?