Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
And they're just sat there, talking crap and making inane comments while the child (I don't care that "she's really 19, honest!", she's obviously a child) runs out drunkenly into the dark, alone.
It is entirely possible for someone to be legally an adult and, in terms of mental and emotional maturity, still a child. That clearly applies in Liz's case. And there are real people like that. However, people like that tend to be stuck into hideous cycles of dependency and end up at the bottom of the societal ladder. They aren't the kind of aggressive go-getters who acquire multiple PhDs by the age of nineteen or who choose to move to the middle of nowhere to take jobs in a place where they have no friends and family.

That's the central incongruity to Liz: her personality is a massive mismatch to her position. Now, sometimes this sort of thing can happen because a naturally talented person is managed, pushed, and otherwise controlled by extremely overbearing parents. This is common with, for example, child actors (Shia Lebeouf's life story, about which he has been very open to the point of making a semi-autobiographical movie, is a fairly textbook case). This cannot be the case for Liz though, since her parents allowed her a massive level of independence, so much that they did not visit her once in a two-year period.

What will it take for them to realise that this place is a deathtrap and/or nervous breakdown waiting to happen?
Well, they have to go back to Northampton at the conclusion of this interview, which would offer an opportunity to reflect. If I were allowed to suddenly take over the story at that point, I'd have Claire unwind a long story about the trip to Aurelia and/or Clinton, and then have that information make its way to Roko, who would then almost literally explode at the conditions in Cubetown, call someone equivalent to herself in Canada, and then have Yay cackle madly as they watched Cubetown disintegrate under a giant pile of fines, mismanagement charges, and lawsuits. I mean seriously, Cubetown has functionally unlimited money and is guilty of a string of safety, financial, and labor violations that would fill a three-ring binder, lawyers should be more abundant than sharks in that park of the North Atlantic (especially since the various Morays are not necessarily legally independent entities from the Director, making the entirety of Cubetown potentially liable for any mistake they make).