1. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: [WFRP2e] The Power of One - Part 2 - "Transire Benefaciendo"

"Great. Great. Well, I don't know how this is going to go - but I'm glad you showed up when you did. You're a Gallant now, one way or the other!"

Spoiler: OOC: Arena Combat
    Show
    Some notes on this exhibition combat!

1. The cudgel is an improvised weapon (SB -4 Damage). The shield is an unrimmed shield, so it can bash for (SB -2 Damage), but does so at a risk of breaking. Wielding them together gives you a free parry. Both of these efforts are 'non-lethal', by which I mean they are recognized by onlookers as sportsmanly and restrained, as is attacking with the 'normal' Unarmed attacks (Also SB-4, but the enemy counts their armor double).

Importantly, non-lethal blows don't do Ulric's Fury as normal. Instead, if you confirm a roll of a 10 on the damage dice, you do your maximum damage plus a 1d5 roll on the critical location for that hit.

On the other hand, unleashing your TRUE POWERS and striking with your "Natural Weapons" talent for SB+0 damage, you'll be much more effective - but you run the risk of the crowd, and more importantly the attendants, spotting you launching obviously vicious, lethal, frankly savage attacks.

We'll abstract this into a few sets of rolls to flash through the round.... mostly because I haven't made an effort to 'balance' this non-lethal combat at all!

The other Gallants, or Luigiano's Lancers in the context of the team, give you nods and appreciative recognition... if some doubt, at your unproven nature. And then out you go on to the field, sticking with Daniele as the hostile audience crows for your demise. It is probably best that they drown each other out - the chance that any of the braying shouters from the stands have constructive commentary is very low.

Round 1:

You line up, and the dwarf - the Spudletter - tosses the ball into the pool.

"Luigiani and his partner will contest the ball - we're just blocking our opposite numbers, on the east side here."

You brace for the attendant to call the game to action...

Spoiler: On a Successful Perception Test...:
    Show
    ...You notice that, despite both sides lining up as three opposite pairs, the larger of the two Remans in the middle pair has his eye on your pair. He's a hulk of a man who would be frightening to fight in lethal combat; only a little less so here.
    But as you catch his eye, he gives you a wink.

Is it a lascivious wink? Maybe. Maybe he feels bad for you, as a rookie, and is warning you of something about to happen.

Then the attendant blows on a wooden whistle, and everyone rushes forward. You can barely spare focus away from the pair of Remans bearing down on you and Daniele - and you prepare to defend yourself!

Spoiler: Sports!
    Show
    https://youtu.be/f1C6b2Wd8HM

Give me three rounds of combat against your opposing goon. If you beat a (1d10+4)[14] Initiative, your first blows go first. Your opponent, like you, is bat-n-boarding it.

1. Vs40 - (1d100)[1] for (1d10+1)[3]
    Vs40 - (1d100)[6] for (1d10+1)[4]
    (if he goes first, this is a charge, and gets +10. If he goes second, it's a swift attack, and he makes that second swing.)

2. Vs40 - (1d100)[56] for (1d10+1)[2]
    Vs40 - (1d100)[94] for (1d10+1)[7]

3. Vs40 - (1d100)[95] for (1d10+1)[9]
    Vs40 - (1d100)[24] for (1d10+1)[8]
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2023-05-09 at 05:44 PM.