Quote Originally Posted by InTheMachine View Post
November 2nd
John
I’m fine, John, Emi replies. Her tone gains a hint of irritation that she can’t hide. My father placed a psychic barrier between the roof and the rest of the base, cutting me off from your conversation. He knew I could watch through Keith’s eyes and ears and didn’t want me to see if your talk… ended up going… badly… she trails off.

I’m relieved to hear that it went fine, but I still want to ask, are you okay?
I suspected that he would monitoring things, John replied with a hint of amusement. I had almost expected a post-game analysis on how he thought the three of us did but I suppose that was a little much to expect from him after midnight. I had guessed that Keith might be your window on things—although Nora was a close second in terms of options. I tried to send you a couple quick messages during the conversation but I am guessing they did not make it through.

Well, given your father’s strength, more than guessing.

But yes, I’m okay, he replied more seriously, if very tired. All of the work and excitement is catching up with me, I think. I couldn’t manage to heal a small laceration on Grayson’s arm, which your father instructed him to take care of, or Keiths shoulder when we returned here—which, quite frankly, he should have had Seraph take care of much earlier in the evening. Given that inability to focus, I think I am going to move working on the summoning to tomorrow morning rather than try and prep it tonight.

I do have to confess that Valčdir managed to get under my skin a little by playing up your hugging them upon their return while I was waiting for you downstairs but I pointed out such a reaction was to be expected, given your concerns for Grayson and his safety. Apparently, I hid it well enough for him to move on to talking about their future opportunities before Grayson cut him off. He showed some real strength there.

WHY was he praising his rival to his girlfriend?

Sorry. I may have thought that a little louder than I thought. He’s a good man and I like him. There is nothing wrong in admitting that.

He could feel the vulnerability beginning to creep in.

Even to you.

Just promise me to watch out for Valčdir. He can hide things from Grayson—entire conversations, like the one he had with Jaal at Amity Court. And in between the contempt he holds Grayson and myself in, he may begin to try to take a more active hand in things.

John mentally sighed as he made his way towards his room. Another thing for me to hope I’m wrong about.

What about you. Are you alright—beyond buying irritated at your father, that is.