View Single Post

Thread: Iron Station Savage Masks IC IV

1. - Top - End - #289
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Iron Station Savage Masks IC IV

Quote Originally Posted by Roguewolf View Post
    Keith grins a bit and nods seeing the interaction. And then at the mention of planning. He looked at the roof again as Grayson mentioned it.

“Yeah, probably for the best. That and…. Well if a plan does need to be had, it’s the worst case scenario too.” Keith looked at his best friend. “You got this, Grayson. Trust in the faith that so many of us have in you for that, ok?”

He jumps a bit hearing Mr. Shaw’s voice in his mind and nods. He then projects his response to Mr. Shaw. “Y-yes sir. Thank you for allowing us the time to talk, Mr. Shaw.”

He had expected someone to say they needed to head back, but not necessarily Mr. Shaw himself.

At John’s comment, Keith nodded and looked back at Grayson. “We’ll talk more later man. Always good to see ya, and need to try and set up another star gazing time.” He said with a smile.

He stepped over to John’s side as he inscribed the spell and waved at Grayson. “Think my stomach is sufficiently prepared.” He said with a smirk as they were taken away.

As they materialized, Keith felt this trip to be much less bumpy. At least no drastic turn about landing them a few states over either. He looked around and saw they were in the workshop basement, wondering if maybe this would start being a better place to chat.

Then again, why bring someone here to chat that broke trust?

Keith nodded as John asked about the favor. “Only if you don’t mind, and it’s totally fine if not. Still feel like I don’t have much right to ask.” He said, shaking his head.

“Would you mind using the healing spell on my shoulder?” He asked meekly.

Regardless of John’s response, Keith continued. “I also wanted to say, you know given everything that just transpired.” Keith took a steadying breath, thinking of the worst case scenario. “If that gecko ends up coming out with the challenge, I will stand at your side on that. I know it means Grayson lost his internal battle, and that anything we do to Valèdir hurts him but…. Seraph may be able to heal him right?”

Keith sighs. “I need to talk with Jaal about their claim lines first and figure out something but I have a feelin’ Valèdir probably expects me to fight beside you now. Just…. Just know I’ll do what I can. If you’ll let me help.”

He looks around the lab. “And if you need help with alchemy stuff, I can send Stolas down here too. Still trying to figure out what Rin is planning. Or if Jason is just putting her on this path too. But that’s a talk that can wait till tomorrow.” He says with a smile.

“Last thing, and the most important.” He looks straight at John. “Thank you for trusting me to go with you tonight. I…… needed that after today.”
    John frowned in confusion as he cast the healing spell. “That’s not much of a favor, Keith—although healing is a much surer thing with Seraph than it is with me. Didn’t you speak with him?”

Spoiler: The Dangers of Super-Sorcery loom but do not strike here.
    Show
    Spellcasting: Healing: 1d12o12-1 2 1d6o6-1 0

Recovers?: 1d8 5 1d6 2

While checking the Healing rules, I noted that John should have been Fatigued (-1 to all Trait rolls) for his failure to heal Grayson—good thing he rolled a frickin’ 34 on his Teleportation attempt. Having failed to heal Keith, he is now Exhausted (-2 to all Trait rolls) for the next hour and remains Shaken.

“I’m afraid I have overextended myself a little today,” John confesses as his spell fails to take hold and he leans on his workbench, “Well, maybe longer than today. I’ve been running wide open for a while and my focus is beginning to suffer for it. If an emergency crops up, I will try again but I should probably take a little time to refocus myself before another attempt, if we can afford it.”

He looked up and regarded Keith. “One of your most obvious qualities, Kieth, is a desire to be a good friend to those you care for. I don’t doubt that includes me,” he continued, offering a wry smile, “even if Clea is of two minds about it. Just try to continue to be that. It will be hard enough for you to continue that in the coming days without pledging yourself to one side or another in a battle that may be inevitable. My guess is that Valèdir is not going to choose a time when anyone else is easily available anyway. He may be proud and underestimate me but he isn’t stupid enough to allow me to easily call in backup. After all, he imagines this as a fight to the death and if he is ready to die for this he won’t be around to protest that I ganged up on him.

“But like any good magician, I have a few tricks up my sleeve and more arrive tomorrow, along with your and everyone else’s new body armor.

“Well, almost everyone else’s. Auger has his own, after all, and I don’t know how practical it will be for Drake to wear his as a precaution against someone getting around his metallic form.”

He shook his head. “Anyway, I think I am going to grab a quick shower and re-center myself before I get a little sleep before getting back to work. Stolas is welcome to join me here this morning at about six if he wishes to kibitz or just observe before our morning meeting. I’m not sure how familiar he is with Blood Magic and Demonology, which are two of the three fields I will be primarily drawing on but if he has any thoughts as to how I can bridge the absence of a greater demon’s True Name with the ichor of her brother, I’m all ears. Dr. Riviera didn’t notice anything amiss—beyond the obvious its-a-hare-brained-scheme-and-I-have-to-be-nuts kind of thing.

“Regardless, he would be welcome if he wishes to observe.”
    Last edited by mmdeforrest; 2023-05-05 at 10:34 AM.